Hard Algae in Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer59

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! So I'm new to this forum and would like some advice. I've been keeping freshwater tanks for a while now and never have I had an algae problem like I do now. I'm having an algae problem, hard algae on the glass, the fake driftwood, bubble wand, everything. The drift wood doesn't bother me so much just the glass does. I have to go over with the mag float multiple times to get it off the glass, and then it just comes back a few days later. I have a bristle nose pleco (about 2.5 inches) and a couple ottos to help with this algae. I do have life plants, no fake plants, some dwarf grass, taller grass ( can't remember the name) some round plant (again can't remember the name) and a Marino moss ball,it's a community tank. I don't believe that I am over feeding. I feed hikari micro pellets, fluval tropical flakes, API bottom feeder pellets, and hikari blood worms once a week ( I dethaw the frozen worms, drain the water, and divide them between my tanks.) I have the fluval aqua clear 40-70 gallon filter (it had the foam filter, carbon, clearmax, amd biomax in it), a 14 inch led bubble wall and a T5 coralife light. I just bought a fluval heater that I'm debating on whether I should put it in. I The lights stay on for maybe 8 hours a day and I've tried a black out. I have no idea what else I could do. I was told to get some stability to add bacteria and that didn't seem to do anything, then I was told to use the clearmax to reduce the phosphates. I have no nitrates, no ammonia, neutral ph, soft water, no nitrites.
Sorry this is so long but help/advice would be wonderful! Oh and it's a 56 gal

You can use a plastic spackling knife or a razor blade (be careful not to scratch the tank with it) to get the stuff off easier.

After doing a little research, it seems this problem is due to either too much light or too many nutrients. If the tank is near a window, you might try moving it to a darker location; if not, reduce the number of hours you have the light on every day. You could also try increasing how much water you change during a water change to try to reduce whatever excess nutrient is causing the problem.

Is the algae hard round circular spots? If so that is green spot algae. This often occurs in low phosphate levels, low CO2 levels, and low flow/current in the tank. Leaving lighting on too long is another reason. Is the tank planted? Try running lighting only 6 hours daily, increase water flow in the tank by maybe adding a small powerhead, and if planted up phosphates to 3ppm. You can easily scrape it off with a razor blade or often a credit card works (but don't do this on an acrylic tank). Nerite snails are the only algae eater that has the ability to scrape it off.

Back
Top Bottom