Hard/soft water help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bass2013

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok. I have my tank set up and cycling. Levels are normal in it for right now. But my only concern is. I don't have soft water at my house. It's all hard water. Our water softer went out a few years ago and I was unaware of this. Is there water conditioner I should use? Will the fish be ok with all hard water? I really don't want to give up on the tank since I spent a pretty good amount of money on it. What should I do? Is there conditioner to help hard water be better? Thanks!

bud29 said:
What fish are you planning on putting in the tank? Lots of fish can adapt to hard water.

Cory's were my for sure fish. Idk what else I want to do. What fish are good for a 10 that can adapt?

How extreme is it? Can you test ph,gh,kh and things of that nature? Some fish thrive in hardwater and unless it's really extreme most will adapt to it if it's a constant and doesn't fluctuate.

Corys will do fine in hard water, a Betta would too! Also guppies, and the majority of tetras will adapt. (But of course they wouldn't go with a betta)

Cichlid Kid said:
How extreme is it? Can you test ph,gh,kh and things of that nature? Some fish thrive in hardwater and unless it's really extreme most will adapt to it if it's a constant and doesn't fluctuate.

My friend is going to test the hardness of my water the next time he comes over so I will let you know when he does

bud29 said:
Corys will do fine in hard water, a Betta would too! Also guppies, and the majority of tetras will adapt. (But of course they wouldn't go with a betta)

Tertras were another one I was a 70% sure I wanted. I have a Betta and he does awesome in the hard water. All bettas I had were troopers and lasted a few years

I want to start off by saying that most of the fish i am about to list will not fit in your 10 gallon.

My house has really hard water and i have tanks with;
tetras, angels, JD, oscar, blood parrot, african featerfin, common and BN plecos, polka dot loaches, clown loaches, cories, earth eaters, fire mouths, black belt cichlid, betta, goldfish and many more!

My point is that fish are really well at adapting and as you can see i keep a wide range of fish on pretty hard water.

Now for stocking ideas;
3 dwarf cories
4 otos
1 dwarf gourami

I was never very good at stocking 10 gallons but hopefully i have helped you alittle bit.

FishFanatic88 said:
I want to start off by saying that most of the fish i am about to list will not fit in your 10 gallon.

My house has really hard water and i have tanks with;
tetras, angels, JD, oscar, blood parrot, african featerfin, common and BN plecos, polka dot loaches, clown loaches, cories, earth eaters, fire mouths, black belt cichlid, betta, goldfish and many more!

My point is that fish are really well at adapting and as you can see i keep a wide range of fish on pretty hard water.

Now for stocking ideas;
3 dwarf cories
4 otos
1 dwarf gourami

I was never very good at stocking 10 gallons but hopefully i have helped you alittle bit.

Yes you have thank you

bud29 said:
I think that stocking is a little too heavy on bottom-dwellers. Maybe with the gourami you could put some endlers!

The Cory's are pretty much all my bottom. I was wanting to lean towards more tetras. I would like zebra danios but they need vertical room. I mean I could stock them but it wouldn't be a lot

Neons are small tetras and you could do at least 6 but I'd say 8. There are a couple really small raspora's too. All good for a 10 gallon.

bud29 said:
Yeah Zebra Danios really need a 20 gallon long.

Look into Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, and Ember Tetras.

I was looking at the neon tetras they are cool.

bud29 said:
Great! You could do a nice school of 6 in a 10 gallon.

Good, so like 4 Cory's and 6 neon tets is there one more kind I could fit of like 2 or 3?

Back
Top Bottom