Hard Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xstream

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are the concerns for having hard water? Other than mineral build up. And is there anything j can do about it?

I had a small ammonia spike yesterday and have performed a 20% water change (pwc?). Other than that everything has been going well. I switched to Prime's water conditioner with yesterday's water change. It was odd using a dropper to figure out a 20% water change's necessary conditioner. I was very thankful to find the two drops per gallon rule.

Loving the info on the site and forum. Thanks everyone for helping those of us who are just getting into the hobby. My family is enjoying our new additions, I just worry about making sure we take good care of them.

Side question, do you all name your fish?

I think as long as you do weekly water changes you should be fine. Just make sure that you research what you put in the tank so you don't put anything in there that requires soft water.
Good luck

I guess one of my questions would be how much of a water change? I have heard differing opinions on what is helpful and what might cause stress.

10%, 20%, 25%, 50%?

I personally do a 25% water change every week but some people do more then that. I don't think it's necessary but I heard if you have discus it is. I have had no problems with 25% tho. Just make sure you dechlorinate the water before you put it in. :)

You can use a product called special blend that helps reduce the need for frequent or big water changes. It works pretty good for me. I still do weekly 15% to 20% change.

Attachments

• image-1120535657.jpg
    image-1120535657.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 49
I guess one of my questions would be how much of a water change? I have heard differing opinions on what is helpful and what might cause stress.

10%, 20%, 25%, 50%?

In my largest tank I do around 75% or sometimes more weekly and it doesn't stress my fish at all. I could easily get away with a 25% change, but I like giving them lots and lots of fresh water, and since I change my water with an automatic water changer it's easy to do and I feel like I am getting more out of my bottle of prime that way. Since I add all the water in straight from the tap I dose the prime for the full tank volume before the water goes in, so to me using 56 gallons worth of prime to only change 25 gallons or so seems like a waste. As long as the amount you change keeps your nitrate levels low enough to be safe, you are ok. But remember, you change water not only to remove toxins but to replenish minerals the fish need.

Welcome to the forum!

i have hard water (9 dKH) and a PH of 8.2 (7.2 with Co2) and have no problems. I like to change 30% of my water twice a week, but that is just because my platies produce a massive amount of waste lol.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have started to show a little ammonia again today. About .25 ppm. I may do another 25% water change tomorrow. Would you all agree or am I being over cautious?

Also, I have been told to only vacuum my rock once a month. Should I do it more often until I cycle? I see quite a bit of waste in the water. Or course I have the snails in there as well.

i vacuum my gravel twice a week, you should do it at least once a week, and doing a 25% change is not being over cautious, at higher ph levels ammonia is more toxic. so .25 ammonia is enough to do some damage to your fish.

i also have 2 aqua clear 50 filters on a 38 gallon so cleaning all the gravel twice a week like i do does not effect my cycle, however if you are worried it will effect yours just clean half every week.

If you are registering any amount of ammonia, do an immediate 50% or more water change a day until the readings read 0.

Prime works very well for water conditioning.

Also do not use tap water on your filter pad/media unless you have conditioned it first! It will kill the BB (beneficial bacteria) due to the Chlorine/Chloramines.

Also, sometimes there is Ammonia in your tap water. Mine is running .25 right now, another reason Prime is Primo!

Keep the same filter pad FOREVER! Don't change it for a new one unless it is falling apart! If you have a HOB (hang on the back) filter, you can often add a second pad to the holder and double the amount of BB you have thus probably keeping a more stable awesome environment for your fish and inverts!

Welcome! Did you read up on cycling your tank?

I have read up on cycling, but depending on where you read or who you talk with, everyone has some variation on how much and how often. I will do a 50% today when I get home from work. I just hope everybody will be ok until I can get home. I did not feed this morning (went to a once a day feeding schedule earlier this week).

Came home yesterday evening to a crystal clear tank! I was still reading low ammonia, but performed a 50% pwc and vacuumed all of my gravel.

Everything looks good this morning. My API test kit probably won't be here until Monday. I am a Prime member and normal receive things in the two days, but the kit just left KY. Most orders come from the distribution center in TN, but the kit came from IN.

So far looks like we are good. I will continue checking levels with the strips this weekend and perform 50% pwc when necessary. I will probably do at least a 25% on Sunday even of everything looks good (I am really not trusting this strips).

Came home yesterday evening to a crystal clear tank! I was still reading low ammonia, but performed a 50% pwc and vacuumed all of my gravel.

Everything looks good this morning. My API test kit probably won't be here until Monday. I am a Prime member and normal receive things in the two days, but the kit just left KY. Most orders come from the distribution center in TN, but the kit came from IN.

So far looks like we are good. I will continue checking levels with the strips this weekend and perform 50% pwc when necessary. I will probably do at least a 25% on Sunday even of everything looks good (I am really not trusting this strips).

Since you are still cycling your tank, don't vacuum your substrate unless there are noticeable "chunk". After you cycle is complete, vacuuming once a week or every 2 weeks is good.

Still waiting on my API test kit to arrive (has USPS discontinued Sat delivery?). Meanwhile, I came home to a crystal clear aquarium that registered around .25 ppm. Guess I will do a 25% water change tonight.

OK, lol now that we have your water changes discussed.... The answer to your side question is yes. I have three julie cory catfish that swim and cavort together. I named them "Larry, Moe & Curly". They are my "Department of Substrate Maintenance"
Caudially, OS.

I've seen that some people add enough prime for the whole tank instead of just the water being added. Is this a good practice? What if I am doing daily changes?

I've seen that some people add enough prime for the whole tank instead of just the water being added. Is this a good practice? What if I am doing daily changes?

That's only if you are using a water changer that pumps water directly from the sink into the tank. If you are using buckets to refill the tank you can just treat each bucket before adding the water to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom