Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #11

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicPenguin View Post
What about the clearness....do you have the cool "fish swimming in air" clearness? Is it possible with well water?
Yes the my tanks are crystal clear due to the amount of water I change weekly, I have a few tanks which get 2-3 50% changes weekly due to a high bioload. I would look at your mechanical filtration and look to add some filter floss to your filters, This will polish the water by removing the ultra fine suspended particles. It can be purchased very inexpensive at Walmart or a craft store. I use this in all my tanks and normally replace it during my weekly water changes.

Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber Fill - Walmart.com

Old 12-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Yes the my tanks are crystal clear due to the amount of water I change weekly, I have a few tanks which get 2-3 50% changes weekly due to a high bioload. I would look at your mechanical filtration and look to add some filter floss to your filters, This will polish the water by removing the ultra fine suspended particles. It can be purchased very inexpensive at Walmart or a craft store. I use this in all my tanks and normally replace it during my weekly water changes.

Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber Fill - Walmart.com
I have the Tetra Whisper HOB filter pumps that take the bag style filters and the black spongy stuff that is supposed to grow bacteria.

Should I just stuff the floss in the well that is behind the filter bag? Do I even need the filter bag at that point?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #13

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicPenguin View Post
I have the Tetra Whisper HOB filter pumps that take the bag style filters and the black spongy stuff that is supposed to grow bacteria.

Should I just stuff the floss in the well that is behind the filter bag? Do I even need the filter bag at that point?
Yes keep the cartridge and just stuff the Poly-fil before the insert as that will also keep the insert from plugging up as quick.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks so much for all of your advice. I'll get some poly stuffing today and stick it in the filter pump.

I'll clean it well first of course..

cheers!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

KH+GH Pack test kit cost 9$.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've actually known a few people who are on whole house water softeners that had nothing but problems with fish and especially plants until they stopped using it and went to either RO or got a by pass. I have always had the understanding that since magnesium and calcium ions are exchanged for sodium ions in these units that the heavy sodium ions are not good or usable for plants and many fish unlike magnesium and calcium are.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Keep in mind that if you do use the bypass and you are using warm water to fill your aquarium, your water heater is also getting hard water into it. I always make sure that if I use the bypass, I also take a shower right afterwards to refill the water heater with softened water. I usually do not use the bypass, and my planted aquariums don't show any distress compared to the times I do use it, for what it's worth...

I'm also on a private well, not municipal water. That could make a difference in my situation as well...
Old 12-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Makes me wonder if different water softener systems add more sodium into the water than others. Or if you get higher numbers of sodium ions in the softened water when the original tap or well water has a lot of magnesium and or calcium. This is an AquaChem question.

I have a friend in FL that has off the charts hard water and had no end of problems with his fish (angelfish and discus tanks) and plants (couldn't hardly get any live) until he had a by-pass installed. As soon as he started using the other water cut with RO to soften it his plants and fish did great.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #19

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Makes me wonder if different water softener systems add more sodium into the water than others. Or if you get higher numbers of sodium ions in the softened water when the original tap or well water has a lot of magnesium and or calcium. This is an AquaChem question..
That may well be, I have a fairly expensive system that test the water before each recharge which is done as needed. But I will also add my old softener was extremely basic and I still had zero issues with the cichlids, plants, or even some of the more delicate inverts.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
That may well be, I have a fairly expensive system that test the water before each recharge which is done as needed. But I will also add my old softener was extremely basic and I still had zero issues with the cichlids, plants, or even some of the more delicate inverts.
I'm wondering if the different amounts of magnesium and calcium in different peoples water can mean different levels of sodium ions. That could explain why some people have problems and some don't. It's kind of interesting and I'd love to know the answer.

Tags
ate, soft, ten, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com