Hardest Freshwater Fish To Breed ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the hardest freshwater fish to breed that could be kept in a 33 gal tank ?

when you say large pleco's could you please give me an example of some ?

I think some of the larger plecos that havent been bred are royal plecos and titanic plecos. Those are some that i think havent been bred but i dont really know much about bigger plecos.

I think some loaches have been bred. I know for a fact kuhli loaches have been bred.They are kinda hard to breed and its kinda "omg i didnt know that I even had a female and a male" incident when you see theyre eggs. My cousin had his breed but the eggs got eaten after about a day.
You never really know if theyll breed, you just kinda look one day and theres eggs.

Clown loaches have never been bred. Thats why they are so expensive, as popular as they are. I know kuhli's have. Don't know about the others.

black ghost knife !!!

ahhahahah

they have ONLY been bred in captivity twice (Well regularly in a remote town in australia)

rich311k said:
Clown loaches have never been bred. Thats why they are so expensive, as popular as they are. .

expensive??

really
they are quite cheap here in australia - and EXTREMELY common.

I meant that everyone seems to want one. If they could bred by the breeders. Every LFS would have them and they would be a buck apiece. They average about 5.00+ here in LI and they are not always available.

At my LFS it really depends on the size because IME they don't grow very fast. And of course the price of a fish is higher if they have never been bred.

A lot of "cleaner" catfish are supposed to be hard to breed. for instance otto's and some cories. I would think that a Black ghost would be very hard to breed! Also, Ive herd cardinal and neon tetras are very hard.

With my fish, its not the breeding part(spawning) that is hard, its the keeping the fry alive and not having the eggs eaten.-so frustrating watching two beautiful discus spawn and then the tankmates pushing them away and eating the eggs!

I have only head of clown loaches being bread once. Many because they only bread when they are around 12". So they are breed on hugh fish farms. So you could put two in a 33gal anyway. they are great fish though, they are very active in schools. most people have one or two it a shame. I have a school of 6 in my 120gal tank, ranging in size from 9 to around 5 inches. They would probably one of the hardest fish to breed.

A great question Steven. The body of knowledge on captive fish breeding is very small. The challenges abound. Like Toirtis says, any fish which hasn't been documented to have spawned in captivity would be considered "the hardest".

Back
Top Bottom