hardiest fish ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i would probably have to agree ive had my albino corys for years, i aslo had another kind or corys...cant remember the name but they didnt last long

Hmmm, I think it is danios. Cories (like most fish) are very hardy once you get them in your tank but getting them that far can be difficult for a lot of people. Danios on the other hand. They can tolerate so much. High temps, low temps, cycling a tank. Unfortunatly I think they are also the most abused because they are so hardy.

I have documented proof: Skirted tetras. Here's the proof:

1. Started 30 gal tank with them in Oct. 2004.
2. Ammonia spike 2.5 or more...they lived
3. Ich outbreak - They lived (one of them was the one originally infected)
4. Excessive salt in tank during ich treatment - They lived
5. Ph crash two months ago - They lived
6. One had cottonmouth - he lived

Everything else that was originally in my 30 gal died from the above ailments.

Danios
I had 3 that cycled 2 tanks and survived my experiments to lower ph. They also got added to a tank with water straight from the tap. Which is how I found out my well water is full of dissolved gases and the fish can't breathe it plus it comes out at 6.8ph and goes up to 8.0. After I added other fish the danios got really annoying and kept picking on my other fish. They got moved to a horse stock tank outside which heated up to 90F some days and then would get filled with 50F water from the well. Sometimes they were in only 2 inches of water and once while I was filling it an over eager horse knocked the tank over and I had to scoop the fish up by hand and put them back in. They never did die and eventually I found a home for them before the water tank had to be dumped for the winter.

Skirted tetras

I agree.
I had mine in a tengallon, hadnt cycled. Survived the cycle -- which during so the ammonia was off the charts. Survived Ich two times. Survived low temps while my heater broke.

Also, I would have to say my swordtail was pretty hardy too. He survived right along my two skirted tetras. Ive had them since feb and they are doing great.

My brother had a 10 gallon tank and eventually lost interest in it once all but a couple platies died. After a few months the water level was way down to just 3 inches, most of the live plants had died or were in the process. Anyway, I assumed everything had died from my brother's neglect, but after going into the tank to get a rock he said I could use, I saw the 2 platies in there alive! The had lost most of their color, but after nursing them back to health, they regained their color and are still alive about a year later. Tough little guys.

I put two danios in my 10 gal tank just after 24 hours of setting it up and they are thriving.

Hey, I raised a level! Wootness! I'm not really sure if he knew they were still in there. Though, i'm not sure, he's kind of a jerk.

Ropefish, danio, and betta. My friend hhas a betta in a container that is like 3" by 4" by 3" The water is green and the betta is still alive all you see is a red blotch in the water.

zebra danios are pretty hardy, but even hardier i would say are cory cat fish, or at least the pandas. I have never lost a cory catfish, i started out with 2 when i started my cycle(roughly 6 months ago) and now i have 6 and ive never lost one.

Back
Top Bottom