Hardy fish for "soft" water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't believe anyone is making accusations towards the OP. We're simply giving advice on the best way, we believe, to acclimate new fish if there truly is a dramatic difference in the water chemistry.

The OP's question was what are hardy fish that can adapt to soft water, our personal advice is that virtually all fish can adapt if acclimated properly...then there was a discussion on what the best process to acclimate is.

The point regarding water changes is a very valid one though, and a point we did fail to mention.

I didn't say you were being accusatory, I was just pointing out that post #6 - #17 are talking about drip acclimation. The direction the thread went implies that the OP's issue is their acclimation technique.

That's all fine and well, but it's jumping the gun a little, perhaps a sticky thread on drip acclimation is a good idea, so you can just link it rather than have a big discussion in the subject in a help thread. It's one thing if the OP is asking about it, but otherwise it just clutters the thread.

I don't really disagree with your statements, just don't think they are pertinent for the conversation.

Yeah we did get a bit off topic. To answer the OP's question again:
Ive got 6 Glowlight Tetras, who seem to love the set up, in the soft water and I have corys as well.... but since I would like add variety to the tank I would like another breed of hardy fish for soft water, any advice?
Pretty much any commonly available fish will adjust to your soft water. Go to the LFS and see what you like. Just research before you buy!

--Adeeb

Proper acclimation is the most important way to start off new fish no matter what you're water conditions. pH shock alone has killed many a fish over a short period of time IMO/E/research. If you don't start them out properly and there's an issue a day or a week later, how can you know what caused it?
Exactly, how can you know what caused the problem. Just because someone doesn't drip acclimate their fish doesn't mean that pH shock is the likely cause to their issue. The validity of pH shock is another discussion in itself, since it's not something that everyone agrees upon either.
As an example: I got some Cards and acclimated them properly, did everything right and they died off slowly. I later found out in researching them that wild caught didn't do well in aquariums, so I got farm raised and they're doing great in my betta community tank.
How is that an example of anything? You likely got bad stock, plenty of people get in wild cardinals and have no problems with them. I'm not sure what that has to do with acclimation technique though.

This is all way off the topic now, though, since it's not about the importance of proper acclimation, something which we've already all agreed upon.

It's interesting in the forum that people will often side with some copy and pasted infosite and/or those with very limited experience while completely ignoring those with extensive experience in the trade and dealing with large volumes of fish in general, but whatever works for you I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the thread basically became a topic within a topic. I think to put our combined advice together, it would simply state that- The vast majority of fish can adapt to a very wide range of conditions, a good acclimation is important (especially drip, IMO) and water changes to keep pH stable are also an important aspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys... please keep this thread on topic. If you have forgotten the rules about behavior on this forum, you can find them in my signature, or at the bottom of the page. Please don't flame other members. If this thread continues this behavior, it will be locked, and infractions will be issued to those who are violating the rules. BE NICE!

Wow didnt expect my question to kick off a debate BUT I appreciate everyones input. Back on topic....and a question I was posed earlier, "why not try another LFS" well I have up to now used 3 different stores and its the same thing.

Maybe I should have asked which type of fish are better suited to my current water situation. Acclimation I understand but I just wanted to know which breeds, like say Corys...are known to thrive in the water I have here, will be easier to have in my community tank. My mollies, shrimps, snails all have adapted and adapted well, the Tetra as well.

Would a Kuhli loach work in my tank? My tank is 8 months old I had it cycle late last year for about a month and a half. on my profile you can see what all I have in the tank.
pH is 7
gH is 5
Tank temp 26°C

Back
Top Bottom