Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Oh, then I do apologise. But either way - I can get a bigger tank when needed so this won't be a huge issue. Don't worry though, I am not one to put fish through any form of inhumane conditions. Thanks for your reply!"

Yay! I'm glad your not that kind of person, it makes me sad seeing big fish in tiny spaces, trust me if a BGK could be in a smaller tank I'd have one in my 55 already haha. Just be sure to research everything a great deal, remember that surviving and thriving are two completely different things

Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low ammonia, or better yet tolerable ammonia, is below .25 ppm. If it gets to 1 ppm, it is toxic. The best test kits are liquid test kits. The strips, as I put it when I first learned this, lie to you. I did a 50% water change and the strips said it didn't go down at all.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGal View Post
If it gets to 1 ppm, it is toxic.
Ammonia toxicity levels depend on other factors such as pH, there is no set level where ammonia becomes toxic.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post

Ammonia toxicity levels depend on other factors such as pH, there is no set level where ammonia becomes toxic.
That's just what I was told. My apologies.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post

Actually, there are fairly specific numbers in respect to ammonia toxicity, ph and temp but it is more complicated than most beginners that are trying to understand the basics of the nitrogen care to understand. So, it's generally recommended to keep ammonia at or below .25ppm. The api test measures free ammonia & combined ammonium together- it doesn't differentiate between the two. Also realize that while free ammonia has been scientifically documented to have detrimental effects on fish even in amounts as low as .1ppm, ammonium, while not anywhere as toxic, still is not healthy for fish either. So, simply, keep it as low as reasonably possible.

http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/AmmoniaTox.html
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Actually, there are fairly specific numbers in respect to ammonia toxicity, ph and temp but it is more complicated than most beginners that are trying to understand the basics of the nitrogen care to understand. So, it's generally recommended to keep ammonia at or below .25ppm. The api test measures free ammonia & combined ammonium together- it doesn't differentiate between the two. Also realize that while free ammonia has been scientifically documented to have detrimental effects on fish even in amounts as low as .1ppm, ammonium, while not anywhere as toxic, still is not healthy for fish either. So, simply, keep it as low as reasonably possible.

Ammonia Toxicity
Indeed. My point was that there is no set level where ammonia becomes toxic in all tanks of different pH and temperature, so nobody can say something like "ammonia becomes toxic at .4 ppm." That's all I was trying to point out.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Changing the pH level is something to wait on. Adding Baking soda or even pH up or down should be avoided if possible. It is something to be done by very experienced fish keepers.

Many fish can adapt to conditions. It is very difficult to keep the levels the same by using chemical additives and in the long run it will harm the fish with the changes going up and down all of the time. Generally our tap water will be the same or similar over time.

It is better to select fish which live well in the type of water we already have available to us from the tap, especially at the beginning of fish keeping.

Also it is important to not add too many fish at a time.

One additional thing is not use tap water to rinse your filter pad, as that will kill the beneficial bacteria (BB) due to the chlorine, you can use old tank water and conditioned/dechlorinated water to rinse. Not change the pad until it is falling apart.

Never use soap to clean water buckets, tanks and things which will go into the tank, and always remember to have clean and rinsed hands, no soap, cologne, hand cream, etc. residue.

Happy fish keeping! Knowing this stuff ahead of time will help avoid soooo many problems and nightmares which can happen.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Boxing Day??? Lmao!! Hahahahaha, I'm sorry that's kills me. I put some Ammo-Lock in my filter last Flag Day, and some Root-Tabs in on Mardi-Gras. My fish are very influenced by esoteric forgettable days of the year
Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Boxing Day??? Lmao!! Hahahahaha, I'm sorry that's kills me. I put some Ammo-Lock in my filter last Flag Day, and some Root-Tabs in on Mardi-Gras. My fish are very influenced by esoteric forgettable days of the year
Hey flag day is my birthday!!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Canadian mother informed me that in fact-- Boxing Day is a pretty big deal. I rarely made it up north in winter lol. (She's from Ontario)

Flag day is a cool day for BBQs-- and birthday parties I'm on the Gemini cusp- summer baby!

On topic-- Betta fish!! Gotta love em

Tags
aquarium, fish, hardy, hardy fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com