Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Harlequin Rasbora Red Fins

I know that generally, harlequin rasboras are supposed to have red fins, but mine never really did. A few of them had sort of orangey tinted fins, and then a couple, including the one fish I'm talking about had pretty clear fins. I started out with 6 and he is the last standing after about 3 years. Just recently, I've noticed that his fins have become bright red. I have two theories:

1) The fins get brighter with age maybe?

2) Harlequin rasboras are big shoaling fish and he's been alone too long. I recently got a whole bunch of bloodfin tetras. He's been trying to shoal with them and now all of a sudden his fins look just like theirs! This would be very cool...although kinda sad too :/

What do you guys think or do you know why his fins got brighter?

Old 10-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not sure, I had them for about 2 years and always orange fins from memory.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh yeah, I should also mention that he seems quite healthy because my first thought when I noticed his fins was that there was something wrong with him. But he moves just fine, the rest of his coloring is normal, and he eats well.

Quote:
Not sure, I had them for about 2 years and always orange fins from memory.
Yeah, I've never seen a harlequin rasbora with fins this red before. I like my theory involving the bloodfin tetras though lol. I think it would be a really interesting discovery if it happened to be true, suggesting maybe that fish can feel lonely. I've been afraid to get more rasboras though. I feel like the day they get here, he'll die - he's pretty old now. He was an adult when I got him 3 years ago. Think I might do it anyway though and see what happens. Wonder if the red will go away!
Old 10-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

6 Harlequin Rasboras were my first fish purchase. They weren't orange at all in the store, but got brighter after being home awhile.

Then I changed to a really good food, and they got especially colorful. (New life spectrum).

I notice the ones at pet smart look very pale in the store, but the ones at our good LFS are very bright. So I got 4 more from the good LFS. They're all exactly the same color in the tank at home.

The females do get paler when they are gravid (having been pregnant myself I can't blame them). I have one that's redder than the rest. They're pale when the lights get turned on abruptly, or when I terrorize ... I mean clean ... The tank.

Your one probably is feeling happier with fish it identifies as friends. Mine school with tetras too.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Tags
fin, fins, harlequin, harlequin rasbora, rasbora, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com