harlequin rosboras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are harlequin's know to die shortly after being introduced to an aquarium? My ammonia and nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are 10-20ppm(they look the same to me). Added 8 last friday afew days later a few died and now i have 5. Just wondering if its common because i have Neon tetras in my aquarium as well and when i started adding them a few died also.

Yeah I did a 40% pwc after I did the test. And my tank is also planted. Heard on one thread thats fine for planted.

Interesting, I've had my harliqunes for about 4 months and no deaths yet,knock on wood, also have neons and they are fine. I acclimated them just like any other fish. I believe the key is having a mature setup and healthy stock.

Let the bag float and add half a cup of water every ten minutes for an hour. Sometimes more. May have been a week stock?

In a planted tank you want your nitrates to be 10-20ppm. Nitrate is a macro nutrient that the plants need. As for the rasboras, they are not sensitive fish IMO. I've kept them numerous times over the years without incident. I actually got 15 about 3 weeks ago for one of the tanks and no problems, and a couple of them were literally about 3/8" long. They were some of the tiniest ones I've ever gotten. What could have happened is the fish were carrying something and the stress of being in a new tank triggered the pathogen. This is why it is important to quarantine fish, so we don't introduce pathogens or parasites into our established tanks and stock.

Back
Top Bottom