harmless aquarium/filter cleaners needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blink

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought used fish tanks (also a snake, and guinea pig tank), and woudl liek to knwo how to properly disinfect then befroe addign new fish, without leaving a harmful residue?? Also how do I clean moldy filters, bubblers, etc?

Can someone give me a list of what I need for my first fully funcitonal small aquarium to make sure I buy all the parts needed?

Thanks!
blink

Welcome to AA, Blink!

Best way to disinfect aquarium equipment is a soak in household bleach - no detergents, fragrances, or other additives - just plain old bleach (diluted 1:10 in water).
Then rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse until you can't rinse no more. Then rinse again!
For the final rinse, I add dechlorinator at double the normal strength and let it sit for a few minutes before draining the tank.

Do not use the snake and guinea pig tanks for fish unless they are really aquariums. These kinds of tanks are not designed and sealed to hold water.

Your second question is tougher - depends on what kinds of fish you want.

You want a bare minimum list?:

At least a 10 gal tank - anything smaller will be a pain to maintain and even harder to stock.
Hood or lid - lighting would be nice even if you don't plan on getting plants.
Sturdy stand - NEVER a cart or flimsy table. A dresser or desk may be dangerous for tanks larger than 10 gal.
A good, high quality heater (about 5W per gallon, i.e. 50W for a 10 gal)
Filter - really depends on your choice of fish and size of tank.
Thermometer
Dechlorinator
Test kits - pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Substrate (gravel, sand, pebbles) - depends on fish - usually 1 lb per gallon is enough.

Have you kept fish before? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Have you any ideas about types of fish you want?

Back
Top Bottom