Has anyone ever successfully treated dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickyB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!
I have a sick Oranda who without a doubt became ill due to poor water conditions and a new fish that was not quarantined. Again, I had her for 3 years, 30 gallon tank, and 2 filters (canister and power). Everything went south when I moved and someone else was taking care of her. I was able to stabilize the water parameters in about 2 weeks; in the interim she developed some wen growths and “finrot” which probably were more like ammonia burns. When this fish was given to me she had swim bladder so her buoyancy problems weren’t anything new. (Swim bladder was treated and never improved, so the assumption was it was congenital). I noticed she remained at the bottom corner of her tank and wasn’t very interested in eating. Buoyancy issues got worst and she was a bit bloated. I quarantined her and started treating with “general cure all”. After 2 days she started eating and swimming. A couple days after that I noticed her scales pineconning. I started treatment, Epsom salt, metronidazole in the water( API general cure), and hand feeding her fresh food daily mixed with kanaplex. Throughout treatment she never lost her appetite, has remained responsive to light and to me when I come near her, and swims around. Her scales are completely smooth now and she can now search the bottom for food. I really don’t know what to think; clearly to me she is getting better. I’m researched Dropsy at length, I am aware of the poor prognosis. I don’t want to euthanize her as she looks like she is improving. Basically my question is what kills fish when they have dropsy. I really can’t find too much info past *fish should be euthanized* What should I do?
Thanks all:(

If she's improving then don't euthanize. The main reason that dropsy kills is that the organs start failing before the owner realizes there's a problem and starts treatment. Normally people don't realize there's a problem until they see the pine coning. You managed to start treatment before that, so she has a much better shot at making it. Well done :D

I couldn't have done it without JLB's help. She is a moderator here and is heaven sent! I'm hoping she has a fighting chance. Thanks for the words of encouragement. :)

What should you do?

Just keep up the great job your doing!! Keep her water super healthy, limit stress and feed a healthy diet. It's been a rough road here but the worst of it should be behind you now thanks to the hard work and time you have invested in making things healthy. Hopefully, this will a singular ordeal but we will keep our fingers crossed just in case! :) :) :)

Hi all,
I thought I would share a little update. She is doing 85% better!
Her tail is growing back, I feed fresh food every other day and the buoyancy problems aren't as bad. Thanks so much for the well wishes and advice!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401328735.775042.jpg

Back
Top Bottom