Has anyone heard of this vendor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhNeil1969

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was surfing the web looking for more info on different angelfish varieties and I came across this site: 75 % - 95% Solid Red Select Angelfish: Rainforest Farms International | Live Freshwater Tropical Fish and Aquarium Supplies For Sale.
I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with this company. I'm also curious as to the type of angelfish they are advertising. I've never read anything about angels with this type of coloration. Is this another one of those Frankenstein experiments gone wrong? I have to admit I find them very attractive, but I'm a little skeptical. Like I said, this is one of the only times I've run into this color of angelfish. In fact, a breeder site that was recommended by another member of this site didn't mention it once and it was very thorough.

I just did a bit of Googling and it appears that there are a lot of unsatisfied customers over at Simply Discus... of course, that doesn't say anything about their angels, but they have a pic of CPD's for their tetra category... hmmm....

I came across this vendor while doing a search on Discus fish. They say the fish they sell are wild caught, which is not something I approve of.

If none of the fish in the hobby were wild caught, we'd never have new species coming into the hobby.

If you keep plecos, otos, or loaches chances are you have wild caught fish. With the exception of Ancistrus, most plecos are wild.

Last edited:
I'm still curious about the type of angels they are selling. From this site I've come to realize that not all fish sold to the public are natural and that some are created using questionable practices. I seem to remember reading about a fish that is created by clipping it's tail fin (can't recall the name right now). I also know that there is some controversy about glofish. While I like the fish in the advertisement, I don't want to help perpetuate cruel treatment of fish.

Those fish don't look modified to me other than through selective breeding, but what I was reading on Simply would not make me want to purchase from them. It seems a lot of those folks did not get what they paid for not only in terms of quality, but even different strains! Are you willing to use Aquabid? I see very nice angels showing up there all the time.

I have never heard of those angels and I have never heard of that site. I know there is a lot of experimenting going on. The glofish are genetically colored, I don't know whether I agree or disagree with this... I don't find it cruel, there are fish that are naturally brightly colored and that's where they found the gene for them. But the are basically teat tube fish.

The other day I went looking at LFS's and I came across red tiger barbs.... I asked if they were real and she said yes but I knew not to believe her. They looked like dyed albino tiger barbs... Pretty but cruel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

The other day I went looking at LFS's and I came across red tiger barbs.... I asked if they were real and she said yes but I knew not to believe her. They looked like dyed albino tiger barbs... Pretty but cruel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

That's exactly what I'm hoping to avoid. I just got off the phone with the owner. They're selling them for $25 a piece. I think I'll take Severum Mama's advice and check Aquabid.

Back
Top Bottom