has anyone used Tetra Safe Start, can I add fish immediately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have my 40g stand built and will have the tank set up tomorrow. PetSmart said I could add Tetra SafeStart and I can add my fish immediately. I'm skeptical about this, but I want to break down my 36 bowfront and set the 40 breeder in its place, so timing is kinda critical.

Has anyone tried this stuff? I will have a new canister filter, Pet Smart had a Fluval 306 on sale.

I could put the media from the old 206 in the tank to help out. which leads to another question, in the Fluval 206 which part has the BB?

thanks

Ive never used it. But if you set it up and use the safe start, test your water and see what the results are. If the ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and the nitrate is around 10 it should be fine....I think. But like I said I haven't used this before.

If this is a 40 gallon tank then i would definatly stay away from using this "safe start" product mainly because this is such a large tank and your also probably goong to add some large, rather expensive fish.

Dont take the risk.
Let the tank cycle.

And for future reference.
Dont take advice from stores like petsmart, they just want you $$$

Just put the fluval 206 on the tank for a month ish, then you should have a fairly good amount of BB on the new tanks filter

Another tio for a more efficient tank cycling is taking water and substrate from an established tank and lutting it in your cyclying tank

Just ask the fish sore im sure they wont mind
Its what my LFS did for me

Here's my input on this...

While I never used Tetra's SafeStart, I have used Seachem's variant which is known as STABILITY. I have had success with this product. What most newbies in the hobby don't understand, normally, is that these products do not actually "cycle" the tank FOR you -- they kind of "kick-start" the cycle process to get it going by introducing variants of bacteria into the water column. Now, some companies -- well, I guess all of 'em -- claim that just by using their product this will eliminate "New Tank Syndrome" and fish won't be shocked into death by being dropped into a new aquarium...here is what I found with regard to that:

With Seachem's Stability, the directions claim a seven-day (week long) treatment should be followed and that at any time during this period aquatic life can be introduced SAFELY so long as the seven days of treatment are completed...what I normally do (and I have never lost a fish doing this in a new tank) is start the tank up, get the filters running, let the tank sit for a day or so to get the room temperature stable, then add the Stability and do at least two days worth of treatment...THEN I introduce the fish carefully so not to stress them out (i.e. no netting and instead letting them swim from a container into the new water at their own speed/comfort)...my fish have always been fine doing this...

Thus, to answer your question, I wouldn't necessarily just drop fish into a brand new tank immediately even though you may have added the SafeStart or other product like this; I would add the chemical and do the treatment for two or maybe three days just so that the water "prepares" for the fish and vice-versa...there should be a greatly reduced chance of shock and death then...

Any other questions, please let me know...(y)

I've used it and added my fish the same day as I was given an Oscar doomed to the toilet cause Walmart told a friend it could go with whatever fish she wanted in her tank needless to say it ate her fish and I ended up with it. I also use it for every water change on my Oscar tank

I've used it and added my fish the same day as I was given an Oscar doomed to the toilet cause Walmart told a friend it could go with whatever fish she wanted in her tank needless to say it ate her fish and I ended up with it. I also use it for every water change on my Oscar tank

For water changes, you really shouldn't be using SafeStart -- you should be using Tetra's version of a water conditioner and dechlorinator or perhaps switch to Seachem's PRIME, widely recognized as just about the best product on the planet to prepare tap water for safe use by fish:

Seachem. Prime

Thank you for the replies. what I think I will do is break down the 36g, move it to make room for the new tank, then set it back up and let the new tank cycle for a week or so, then "if" the water conditions look ok, move the fish into new tank, and move the filter of old tank to new one for a month.

this is a great site, with lots of helpful people.

Thank you for the replies. what I think I will do is break down the 36g, move it to make room for the new tank, then set it back up and let the new tank cycle for a week or so, then "if" the water conditions look ok, move the fish into new tank, and move the filter of old tank to new one for a month.

this is a great site, with lots of helpful people.

You CAN use a product like SafeStart or Stability to get the fish in quicker -- but what I would do is wait like two or possibly three days for the bacteria booster to kind of "take hold" in the water, then introduce the fish carefully so not to stress them out...in other words, get some kind of Rubbermaid container (don't net them) and let them swim in, one at a time, then slowly let them into the new tank, letting them slowly swim into the new water at their own speed/comfort...then, continue the regiment for however many days you need to do of the water bacteria booster/supplement (for Stability, this means doing it for a week)...

Before the fish go in, though, make sure you let the tank sit for a good two days (with the bacteria booster in and filters running, etc.) also for the reason that the tank will get to room temperature this way, and as such your fish will be more comfortable from the water they're coming out of...

Back
Top Bottom