Has my DECHLORINATE gone bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgkaelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
my dechlorinate is smelling funny. i haven't had it for that long, and i can't seem to find an expiration date, but it smells vaguely like a skunk. i believe it's working since i did a water change over the weekend and my fish don't seem any different, however i have been having HUGE pH problems. i doubt this has to do with the water conditioner but el boyfriend asked me to ask what the funky smell was and if it was a threat to my tank. thanks guys.

When did you buy it? My dechlor smells funny too but not like skunk. If your fish aren't affected I guess its good. If its really old I would get some new stuff.

i bought it a few months ago i guess, it's one of the huge ones that should be able to treat a few thousand gallons. it's odorless when i use it, but it definitely has a stench if i sniff it w/ the cap on. my fish aren't affected by NH4 levels, and they are hardy w/ my pH, but i wonder if the pH change is attributed to it at all.

Most dechlorinator is Sodium Thiosulfate..... If it is smelling funny it is likely either sulfur or sulfur dioxide has formed at very low concentrations....probably the former...... I'd buy new stuff to be safe....

Highly unlikely that Hydrogen Sulfide formed.... if it did, that IS toxic...but it would smell like rotten eggs..... Skunk probably means sulfur.

Back
Top Bottom