Has the tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know if my tank has cycled. Had a 10 gal. that was set up mid-Oct., then got a 20 gal. and transferred everything over, including the filter thing that fit both the old and new filter. Used some of the old water too. pH, nitrIte and NitrAte levels are perfect. Ammon. is at .25 to .50. Have 2 diamond tetra, 2 black tetra, 4 red minor tetra, 1 retrite snail and a few shrimp. Now!! I have some green wispy green algae (?) growing on my drift wood. Does this mean my tank has cycled? I was gone for a few days and couldn't get levels at that time. Your opinion please!!

What are all of your readings? Trates and trites? Algae is most likely being caused by excess light whats the light cycle and is it near windows?

Tank Cycling

I don't know if my tank has cycled. Had a 10 gal. that was set up mid-Oct., then got a 20 gal. and transferred everything over, including the filter thing that fit both the old and new filter. Used some of the old water too. pH, nitrIte and NitrAte levels are perfect. Ammon. is at .25 to .50. Have 2 diamond tetra, 2 black tetra, 4 red minor tetra, 1 retrite snail and a few shrimp. Now!! I have some green wispy green algae (?) growing on my drift wood. Does this mean my tank has cycled? I was gone for a few days and couldn't get levels at that time. Your opinion please!!

Hello thom...

Briefly, it takes several weeks to cycle a tank. I don't believe your 10
G will cycle in a month. The standard cycling method is to set up the tank with heater, filter, gravel, etc. and add a few fish. You test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrites. If you have a positive test, you change out at least 25 percent of the tank water. You should test daily and change out the water when needed to get the water chemistry back into the "safe zone" for the fish.

When several tests show "0" for the above toxins, you can add a few fish and resume testing and changing out the water until the tank is stocked.

B

If you have .50 ammonia and no nitrites or nitrates, it sounds like your not cycled yet. Once your tank steadily reads zero ammonia & nitrite, its safe to say your cycled. You may not see nitrates if your tank is heavily planted. If its not, then expect to see some nitrates when its fully cycled. Hang in there and continue to daily testing & water changes to keep toxins under control until you are cycled. :)

Back
Top Bottom