Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
Hatchet Fish

I've tried keeping these fish a year or so ago. Got into the practice of putting new fish from LFS into hospital tank for a week. When I did that I lost 2 out of 4. After moving the remaining two to the 55g, I lost one within the first week. The remaining hatchet lived a good long time, until I found him laying on the floating drift wood. Must have jumped on top of it and I didn't notice.

I read that some fish peck at hatchet fish thinking they are food. Angels are known to do this, which I have two large ones in the tank. I want to get more hatchets but don't want to lose them as they aren't exactly cheap, when I can find them.

Anyone else have these fish and have any problems with them?

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
i have 3 of em. i dont really have many problems with them... their a cool fish . im trying to train my to jump for food.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

It may be that last one was chased briefly and it took a leap - you need to be sure the top of the tank is secure from jumping with these fish.

Otherwise, there is no reason not to try them again. I would quarrantine them for 3-4 weeks it you can wait that long, and then acclimate them slowly to the new tank. There could have been differences between the two tanks in terms of water parameters, and the sudden switch was detrimental to them. They could have caused a slight ammonia jump when they went into the new tank too, etc. so there are lots of reasons why you did not have success before. It might have been purely a factor of poor breeding and less than optimal specimens, too.

Good luck - they are wonderful topdwellers and provided they are not terribly small the angels should not bother them.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good advice from Tankgirl. They are wild caught for the most part (as I understand it, anyway) and a bit more sensitive to water parameter changes than tank raised fish.

I've had marble hatchets for about a year and other than losing two of them from leaping from the tiniest little crack in the glass top, I've only lost one to illness. The fish store I buy them from is really good, though. The quarantine all of their new shipments for at least a week before they even sell them. All of mine have been really healthy.
Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatchet fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com