Hatching BrineShrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the point of using the upside down bottle?

It seems like any container that is roughly the right size would do just fine, and perhaps even be more stable.

You don't have to use a bottle, it's just a cheap way to get a container if you don't have one. There are also hatcheries you can build with bottles aswell, to insure everything gets sturred up and such.

But yeah, you don't have to use a upside down bottle, it's just cheap. I do mine in a small glass jar I had laying around and it works fine.

well, I used mason jars at first. But I didn't like it for one big reason. Eggs would collect along the bottom edges of the jar. To hatch properly it's best that the eggs are in constant motion. With an upside down bottle, there are NO dead areas in current. All eggs are constantly in motion. Place the bottle in a cup that fits it snugly and it's perfectly stable...unless you have cats, then you need to do a little extra work to secure it.

yeah, basically all bigger badder versions of what I use. I don't run a big breeding operation, so I don't need 5gal of brine shrimp. That's nuts! haha. I've been considering DIYign something a little more substantial though.

You could make a smaller cone, copying the design of the 5g version, which would be perfect for home operations.

yeah, I've been toying with the idea. I imagine I'd just need a sheet of plexiglass or something, cut 4 identical triangles out of it, caulk it together with 100% silicone, allow some sort of small opening for air tubing at the bottom, and fashion a stand out of PVC or something perhaps.

One method that we use at the aquarium may help you out if you need a large batch with high results in 2 days max is to use Clorox, to help break the casings off right at the beginning of the process. We usually have to have a lot for the jellies (we use a pill bottle full of eggs in one batch) and our 'harvest' rate is pretty high. I forgot the exact amount and each step (I haven't done that in a while), but I'll find out and let you know.

Sounds like a pretty good setup. Half my tanks always have brineshrimp swimming around now, so i'm not to worried about it at the moment. The steps would be nice though.

One method that we use at the aquarium may help you out if you need a large batch with high results in 2 days max is to use Clorox, to help break the casings off right at the beginning of the process. We usually have to have a lot for the jellies (we use a pill bottle full of eggs in one batch) and our 'harvest' rate is pretty high. I forgot the exact amount and each step (I haven't done that in a while), but I'll find out and let you know.

This what we we use/do. It also helps to purchase a high hatch % rated brine as well. I can get ours if you want to compare notes? :)

Back
Top Bottom