Have had nothing but problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You def want to use your old filter media. Either put it in your new filter or in the tank. Don t mess with the carbon for now.
Most people don t use carbon except when removing meds. I slice it open on the top, shake out all of the carbon & put filter floss or polishing pads in.
If you can fit the old one in & the new filter pad (modified as described), that would be ideal.

That filter should be fine. You can put something under the outflow to disperse it. Here s my redneck solution.

What I do in that situation is tank the sponge and remove the blue thing and push a sponge in. More bacteria surface, cleaner water, and less flow!

Little hint about using filter media to seed your tank with beneficial bacteria- bury your old filter poly floss in your substrate especially underneath driftwood and rock work right under a) your filter intake, or b) your air bubbler... With a 10g using my old media I managed to have it cycled in 2 days and my 30g only took me a week to accommodate my community (7.5ph, 0 ammo, 0 'trites, minimal 'trates) from Asian blackwater

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Another update!!! Looks like I am gonna be able to get a real start at aquarium keeping after all. My sister is going to give me her 55g once her last goldfish kicks it. He apparently is old as dirt and blind so it shouldn't be to much longer. She says it could be any day now. I am so excited (not about the poor goldfish) ;-) I have learned quite a lot lately from stalking AA and can't wait to have a 'real' tank. Guess my 10g I am currently cycling will end up being my quarantine tank. My Cory cats went from Motel 6 to the Holiday Inn. And soon they will be living it up at the Ritz. Will definitely be looking to ya'll for help once it comes time to stock it. Gonna get it all right this time.

Sweet! Sounds like it's looking up for you guys! How is the fungus issue coming along? Has it cleared up?

No sign of fungus . I really think it was the hair-grass. I think I caught it early enough to avoid it spreading. 10g is going great, been testing water daily, fish seem happy. Currently ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate still 0 though. Poor little black molly fry didn't make it through the transition to the 10g though. Got sucked into the filter.

Great news for you and your daughter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you had a bacterial bloom and algae they may have cleared up your nitrates- they thrive off of ammonium nitrate phosphorous and many of the negative biofeedback from cycling

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393736390.923748.jpg Here it is. Just set up today! I'd have to say not to shabby for such an amateur. Especially considering my awful start. Still cycling the 10g and not gonna transfer any fish over till I'm sure this one is cycled as we'll. I'm hoping I was able to preserve some of the BB on this decor during the transfer. Maybe it will jump start the cycle. Fingers crossed.

Thanks, yea I told myself to fill the water like 4 times today but kept getting side tracked and forgot. I'll definitely do it tomorrow. I'm not crazy about the white driftwood thing, may have to go on a hunt for a nice big piece of real driftwood to go with the others.

This looks great. I like the lighter driftwood (or artificial driftwood?) but you could tie some java moss to it and make it a centerpiece "tree." Share some images after it is cycled and your fish are in. :)

Back
Top Bottom