Having a hard time finding colorful fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindsayB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I was wondering if anyone could name some freshwater fish that are:

*Colorful
*Preferrably active-not too shy
*Small (no bigger than 3 inches)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am having such a tough time on deciding what fish to buy for my aquarium. Thank you!!!

the only colorful fish i can come up with in quickly are

a betta splenden = preferably a 2G or more tank

and

Ciclids - which i think are the sw fish of the fw aquariums (if that made sense 8O )
lots of colors but need a lot of room for them i suggest a 50G or more, again depending on how many fish u plan on sticking in there.

Cichlids are very colorful and come in all sizes and temperaments. Blue Rams, Apistos, and Bolivian Rams reach 3".
Badis badis are cute, but on the shy side, until they see you have bloodworms for them :wink:
Serpea tetras are red and black. I believe barbs stay small and come in many colors.
I would not mix all of the above fish; these are just suggestions.
What size tank do you have? What kind of tank community do you want: peaceful, semi-aggressive, species only?

How about rainbows? If your tank is large enough. Lots of my non-fish friends think they are so colorful, they must be SW!

What about good old platys (tropical fw) and mollies(tropical brackish)? don't they come in huge varities of colors except blues? And they are community fish.
How about fancy guppies (harder water semi-tropicals)? They have lovely tail colors nowdays..They are also community fish with tankmates not too big.

How about tetras..(warm softwater tropicals) in all colors and many sizes?

With bettas you can just have one per tank usually and they patrol the tank but are not exactly active...

I have a 20g tank (24"high and 15"wide, tip to tip) And, no I have never seen a blue platy. I will have to check up on that. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!!

The only rainbowfish you could keep in a 20g would be a neon rainbow. Very pretty fish!

I'd love to have some Endlers Livebearers. The most colorful fish if ever I've seen one.

Back
Top Bottom