Having trouble moving kuhli loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello I have a huge amount of trouble trying to remove 3 kuhli loaches in a 40 gallon that had TB. I had to euthanize the rest of the fish but the loaches are resistant to it, as I read online as well as first hand experiencing. I'm moving them to their own tank but its impossible. Whenever I try to catch one with the net they swim against the glass which creates a huge risk of hurting them with my net and the last thing I want to do is accidentally crush one of them. I tried cutting a water bottle in half then reversing the top into the base of the bottle so it creates an inverted V shape, then poking a wide hole through the cap and placing algae wafers on the inside providing a sufficient trap I used for fry a while back. No luck. I don't know what to do next.

Also my filter killed over so I'm running on a limited time before the ammonia really starts to hurt them. I'm replacing my entire tank anyway (because of the TB), so I'm simply on the last step, but those loaches are tricky!

I would say remove everything and drain the water so there's about an inch or two left. Then use your hand to guild them into the net.

I would say remove everything and drain the water so there's about an inch or two left. Then use your hand to guild them into the net.

Will do. Unless someone has any other possible ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bettaowner's suggestion is what I would do especially for slippery buggers like kuhlies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Use a BIG net, take everything out and then catch them. Bigger the net the less likely they are to know what's going on.

Use a BIG net, take everything out and then catch them. Bigger the net the less likely they are to know what's going on.

Tell that to my fish lol

I'm talking like something the size for a full grown Oscar. Just sweep them fast, or do the whirlwind trick...

My apistos always find that 1 opening to get past the net, but oddly I usually have no problem catching them with my hand

Get a 2 or 3 litre bottle-drink soda, discard cap. Cut the top off so that you've made a funnel, flip it around and shove it back in the bottle so that you've made a rain collector. Put bait in it and drop it in the tank, fish go in but they don't come out.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get a 2 or 3 litre bottle-drink soda, discard cap. Cut the top off so that you've made a funnel, flip it around and shove it back in the bottle so that you've made a rain collector. Put bait in it and drop it in the tank, fish go in but they don't come out.

I tried that it doesn't work I'm gonna go for the empty the tank trick

Try using a small net to chase them into a big net.

I gotta credit you on that one, I managed to catch two in the time it took me to catch one yesterday. Now my tank is completely ready for taking down! Thanks!!

I tried that it doesn't work I'm gonna go for the empty the tank trick

This is the design of essentially every commercial minnow trap on the market, it works but your hole does need to be size appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom