having trouble with PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First off, have you verified that your PH kit is good? If not take a sample to the LFS and ask them to test it, preferably with a different brand than you are using.

Second, why are you trying to change you PH? That's a really good PH and stability is much more important than achieving a specific PH. Unless you are trying to breed fish or want to keep fish that have to be kept in a high PH (cichlids fall into this category, I think) there's little reason to mess with your PH.

If you actually do need to adjust your PH, crushed coral or baking soda are your best options.

Purrbox has it right. Stability is more important than the actual value most of the time, and Crushed coral is the best way to adjust the pH higher. But a tank pH of 6.6 is often that low because the water alkalinity is real low, and sometimes that makes for a tank that has pH swings. Also, nitrifying bacteria have difficulty below a pH of 6.5.

I never had the opportunity of dealing with a low pH water supply, every where I have lived has been hard and alkaline.

Back
Top Bottom