Having Two 20 gal tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently aquired a new tank it's a 20 gal long which is roughly 10 years old, maybe more! :? Here is a pic: http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc09790su9.jpg
I initially thought the tank would be a 30 gal but when i calculate the volume it is roughly a 20 gal (Imperial UK Gallons)

My question is... Is it worth setting it up?
I have a 20 gal already and i suppose i would like to experiment with other types of fish and i could also move my bristlenose into the new tank.
Or alternatively i could just save up for a much larger tank and get different fish then.
I do see it as a waste if it's just sitting there unused but part of me thinking that is the fact that i would like to set another up.

For those of you that have a number of tanks do you see any point in having two tanks of roughly the same size?

I measured both tanks and here are the results (in inches)
My established tank (in sig) Width: 31 Height: 15 Depth: 11.5
The new tank: Width 36 Height: 14.5 Depth: 12

TIA

I have a 20 gallon in waiting also and went through the same thoughts. Here are the questions I asked myself in deciding if I wanted to set them up or just wait for a larger tank:

a. What is the likelihood that I will be able to set up a much larger tank in the very near (12 - 18 month) future ?
b. Do I feel confident enough that I will be able to maintain the large "tank of my dreams" ?
c. Are there any fish that I would like to have that would NOT be suitable for a large tank ?
d. Am I willing to invest in the hood, filter and lights needed for the 20G tank ?

When I got to C I realized that I would like to try either small african shell dwellers or one of the smaller african julies. The shelldwellers would make excellent occupants for a species only tank and have behaviors unseen in any other fish.
Another species tank option are Dwarf Puffers - I just did a 10G species tank for them and I'm in love.

HTH

Thanks for the reply, it does help me analyze my situation a lot more and puts it in a better perspective.

A. It's difficult to say really but i am currently looking for a job, my first after finishing college so money isn't exactly in abundance. If i see a large tank 50 gal+ that is not in use and available for a good price then i will try to buy it most definately. So the question is what is the likelihood that a good offer will come my way.

B. I do feel confident enough, i have been an aquarist for nearly 2 years now and i have had difficult times but learnt new things all the way along. A larger tank will tend to 'look after itself' i heard and is easier to maintain than a smaller tank.

C. What fish aren't suitable for a large tank? I like community tank's so any aggression would most probably be minimal. I would like to have some bala sharks in a large tank and also some clown loaches but most of all a large quantity of smaller/medium sized fish. Say 6 GBR's and 6-7 smaller loaches like yoyo's and chain loaches, also maybe 5-6 cory's aswell.

D. I am willing to invest in the hood, filter & lights needed but if it is under or around a certain amount. I'm not yet sure what kind of lighting i would be looking at but i will have to pop down to my LFS and have a look at EVERYTHING! lol

Hi there (again :))

A. In the UK, unlikely. I've tried to find 2nd hand tanks for years without any luck. They are either too far away to collect (and can't be posted), or in too bad condition for me to consider buying. The other concern is that with a 2nd hand tank you can't be sure of the knocks it may have taken previously. A 20G second hand is a far less risky thing than a 50G+ second hand in sheer amounts of water+floor :)

B. I disagree on this point. I actually find my larger tanks to be more time consuming. Moving decor, water changes, and generally dealing with the inhabitants of larger tanks (which are usually larger species themselves) takes up more time IME. I find my two 2' tanks need far less care and attention than my larger setups.

C. Well, I think it's just the point was: for some people a larger tank is considered an opportunity to get 'lots' of larger fish whether they are compatible or not. For example, I wouldn't think it'd be a good idea to get as many bottom dwelling fish as you've suggested (7 loaches + 6 cories, is too much). It all depends on the size of the tank, sure, but you need to keep a balance of fish in each area of the water column. 'Tis true though that bottom dwellers rule IMHO :D :D :D

D. For a 20G you'd probably be better keeping to the cheaper T8 lighting. A controller will set you back about £15.00, and a tube will be about £8-10. A hood for a 2' will cost you about £25 max.

Hope this helps :) I'd go with setting it up ;-)

I often thought about the larger tank being more hassle and more time consuming as you would probably (or i wouldn't at least) never be 100% satisfied with it. I would move the decor around all the time and constantly be looking to 'improve' the layout and design somehow. The ease of controlling water parameters and water condition would be a big help but i would probably want just one big tank as changing water and maintaining 2 or 3 tanks would obviously be more time consuming than just having the one.

Yeah i was just saying that the larger numbers of specific fish like cories and loaches would be really good as you could see how they behave in larger groups. I wasn't saying that i would put all of those fish in together i was just suggesting some of the fish i would look at getting in large groups.

I was looking at spending under £50, more like £35-40 but as long as it's under £50 and what i want then i'll be happy.

I think i'm leaning towards setting it up as apposed to not setting it up.
Tanks always look much better on tank stands and i don't have one for this tank, it's currently in use actually with just the one ryukin which was rescued from a biorb.
It's on a desk at the moment but i think it will look a hell of a lot nicer on a proper stand which don't come cheap! I think i'll need to gather up some more money!

Fish suitable for smaller tanks, which would tend to be "lost" (ie: difficult to see) in a larger tank are:
African shelldwellers - quite interesting and uncommon behaviors.
Drawf puffers. I just set up a dedicated tank for them and I have to say - they are VERY interesting fish. They can move their eyes, and independantly at that - watching them hunt for food (mostly snails) has kept me sitting in front of the tank for hours on end.
German Blue Rams - would do quite well in a smaller tank and since you could do a dedicated species tank for them it would be easier to maintain preferred breeding water conditions for them in a smaller sized tank - watching them breed and raising the young would be a wonderful opporunity that you might not get in a larger tank

Given that money is tight, and will be possibly for some time, I'd say go for it - set it up as a special species tank and I'm sure you'll not regret it

Best

I had been considering a species tank but i think i'd like a variety of fish to look at.
Saying that i wouldn't get a big variety so maybe a species tank would be just as interesting.

I thought about 5-6 GBR's or some other dwarf cichlid or dwarf puffers mainly.
I saw a dwarf puffer in my LFS and it did amuse me quite a lot it has to be said, tiny little critter!

If i do set this tank up then first of all i will have to take the ryukin back to the store which i don't really want to do but he will have to go back if i do set this tank up.
Then i would have to cycle it and think about fish and decor etc...
The fish that i am interested in are:

Rummy nose tetras amoungst other small top dwellers (besides black neons and danios)
Cories
Shrimp
and possibly 2 or 3 bolivian ram's but i don't know much about them yet so that's a definate uncertainty.

I would really like to see some fish breed, especially GBR's and then watch them raise their fry. GRRR I dont know what to do!
I have some thinking to get on with! :)

Satsumas said:
I thought about 5-6 GBR's or some other dwarf cichlid or dwarf puffers mainly.
I saw a dwarf puffer in my LFS and it did amuse me quite a lot it has to be said, tiny little critter!

umm thats kinda alot for a 20 gal. i believe GBRs should be kept in pairs, i mean it would kinda suck to be the only bachelor

I heard that when GBR's are kept in pairs the male can become aggressive towards the female especially when breeding. Also they don't cope well at all with nips and sores that may come with an aggressive male.

I experienced this with my dwarf cockatoo's. I bought two a male and a female and everything was going fine until i noticed some aggression from the male towards the female. After keeping an eye on this for a week i decided to go and get another female to help balance the aggression out. However, the "Female" i bought was actually a male and between them they killed the female.

From now on i will always think about getting dwarf cichlids in groups of 3 or 4.

Yes maybe 5-6 is too much :)

Back
Top Bottom