Hazy green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chadhaught48

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Tank within a week of cleaning turns a hazy green. should I change the water once a week,regardless of its appearance of the tank? If so

how much of the water should I change 20 % or 50 %. I also have very hard water and I usually loose fish between changes. What can I do?

hazy green water, may be caused by leaving your tank lights on 24/7 as well as overfeeding your fish. If you are doing either or both, leave your lights off for a few days, stop feeding so much food. If you do this and the problem persists or gets worse, we can go from there.

Are you using a chlorine removing chemical like PRIME on each partial water change? You can also try adding 1/4-1/2 a cup of aquarium salt after your PWC.

I am actually having the same problem. I had my water perfect, then I went away for 4 days. The kid taking care of my house and tank over fed and didn't turn off the lights. I came home to a tank with very green water. I have been fighting it for 3 weeks now. I have done 50% water change, 50% water change 3 days later, 75% water change 3 days later, 4 day black out followed by a 30% water change, after that it looked better, but not perfect. The light has been off for the last week and a half and the water is starting to turn green again. I am getting extremely frustrated.

Water is treated with prime, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, ammonia 0, ph 7.

:censor:

if you have some extra bucks you can go grab a UV sterilizer and hook it in like with your canister filter, if you have one. That will kill all the green, you'll have clear water in a couple days tops.

Back when I had my 150g tall, I experienced water so green you couldn't see in 2 inches. I tried everything from blackouts to water changes, diatom filter, finally I got the UV sterilizer. I ran the diatom filter 1 more time till the water was as clear as I could get it, and the UV killed the rest, I've ran the UV ever since, and swapped it to the 125 when I got rid of the 150, never had green water again.

Back
Top Bottom