Hazy Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisshherr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All!

I changed 2/3 of of the water in my 60 gallon tank two days ago. The tank was a little hazy at first, but cleared up by yesterday. This morning the tank is hazy again. Should I be worried, and what can I do to clear up the water??

Thanks! :roll:

Fish

we will need some info on your tank (stocking, plants?, filter, temp, test results, etc) to give good advice, but i have had haziness due to an algae bloom in my 29g unplanted tank. What color is the haziness?

Is the tank new? What color is the haze (greenish or whiteish)? White indicates a bacterial bloom which is normal for new tanks. It should go away in a few water changes. Green indicates an algae bloom.

And like MSU fan said, we need more info.

Okay, I have two dual carbon power filters, two under-graval submerged water pumps, and two carbon bubblers on the grid under the gravel. At this time, there is only gravel and two fake logs in the tank. I have two Oscars and a hand full of Goldfish living in the tank. The haze is faintly white. The fish don't seem to mind, but it's disappointing to look at.

I'm not sure. What do I do if the amonia/nitrate levels are too high or low?

Water change...depending on how high the levels are...eg, if you have 4ppm ammonia, then a 50% PWC will put you down around 2ppm. You goals are <1ppm ammonia and <40ppm nitrates. nitrites should also be kept at <1ppm.

You can't have levels too low of Ammonia or Nitrite (Nitrate isn't the same as Nitrite)

If you have high ammonia levels, you should do a partial water change to get them to managable levels. It sounds like its a new tank. How many fish did you add? The bloom is a good thing at any rate...it means your bio filter will start establishing itself.

Thanks you guys; that helps alot! There are 2 baby Oscars, 6 Goldfish, and 7 feeders (all too big for the Oscars to eat).

A 60g will be too small for the oscars eventually. Oscars are very messy and get big so a tank over 75g is usually recommended for 2. And if the goldfish that aren't feeders live to get bigger, you'll need a tank much over the 75g, but I wouldn't count on them living too long.

Agree with Rich but your tank will clear up more, it is still establising. Your 2 Oscars will be ok in a 60 for a while but you will need to upgrade if you keep 2.

Also, goldfish are very messy and I don't think it is a good combo with Oscars IMO

Also, IMO you should avoid feeding your Oscars feeder fish for now. It is much healthier to feed them a variety of cichlid pellets and other foods. I always use to feed my Oscars feeder fish once a week, until I leared that you risk introducing parasites and disease from the feeder fish. Not saying that you can't give them a treat once in a while, but IMO I would not recommend it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom