Heat spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpr233

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, I came home from work and my fish were dead. I touched the water and it was really hot. Is that the cause of the fatality??

I took out all the dead fish and did a 20% Water change right after. I have a 72 gal tank.

Did I do the right steps??

It's definitely the cause I death! What fish were there, what temperature, where is the tank located, what heater is it, and if it's hot than its at least over 80^!!!:( water changes help lower temperature but find out why it rose!

Yeah, finding out what caused the heat to get so high is priority one. Did the heater malfunction? That's everybody's big fear. You have my sympathy.

I don't know if the heater malfunction but I took it out. It wasn't that hot when I got home. I took it out just in case. All my serpeas otos Odessa barbs plecos corys black neons penguin tetra clwon barbs are dead. 20 in total.

So sorry about the loss

What brand heater do you have

Call the company and at least get a replacement one and ask for additional compensation as well

The heater is a 200 watt theo hydor. I just checked the reviews on it and it seems to be a piece of crap. I'm still upset for my lost. I'm not going to run any heaters till the winter

I use an inline Hydor and it worries me when I hear about this stuff. To bad Jäger doesn't make an inline model. I still have my first heater, a 15 year old Ebo-Jäger that works perfectly. I only use it to heat make-up water now but I can't recommend them highly enough. They have a fail safe that doesn't let them fault in the ON position. If their heaters ever fail they only fail in the off mode. It's disgraceful that all heaters don't have that function.

I went to my LFS today and they told me that the heaters from eheim are very good (also a lil pricy but worth it). And he Also told me that having two low watt heaters is better than a big one because if one malfunctions the other one will shut off and since it is a low watt heater it won't cook the fish like it happen to me.

jacpr233 said:
I went to my LFS today and they told me that the heaters from eheim are very good (also a lil pricy but worth it). And he Also told me that having two low watt heaters is better than a big one because if one malfunctions the other one will shut off and since it is a low watt heater it won't cook the fish like it happen to me.

They're right on both recommendations. Two heaters are always better than one and Eheim makes top class heaters (Jagers). Sounds like you have a good fish store nearby. :)

I've used Hydor for years on and off and never had a problem, currently use a Hydor Inline, 75w, 50w and a Eheim 100w Jäger - which constantly needs readjusted and is ridiculously long.

I like the Hydor inline heaters but I've heard bad things about their submersible heaters frying tanks.

I recommend you get another one b4 the heater cooks your tank. It's sad to come home and see a white cloud in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom