Heated Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ran across a plant that required "heated substrate". Can someone explain to me how this is accomplished and if it is a common need for planted tanks?

I was at Big Al's yesterday and they were telling me there is a heater that is kind of like a coil you snake through the substrate.

You use substrate heating cables...just insulated wires that keep the gravel around 80- 85 degrees I think.

Its pretty much unnecessary, and people who have tried them don't find any difference, positive or negative in plant growth. The one downside, besides cost, is that the roots may wrap around the cables and then get ripped apart.

*edit*
Posted too soon.

The point behind substrate heating is to create convection currents that keep fresh water and nutrients around the plant roots. This might be really useful in a layered substrate that used raw soil...but when dealing with something like Eco Complete, you won't see any benefits. Eco complete has 2 grain sizes to help accomplish the same thing...moving water and nutrients around the roots.

ok..I was thinking it was more like something you would put under the tank, like an insulated heating pad or something. Thanks for clarifying.

Back
Top Bottom