Heater broke!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I came home from work yesterday to see that the heater was brokem, and the temp. in my tank was a little over 90 degrees! Needless to say I unplugged the heater and turned theyre lights off. And the temperature isnt going down much either...
Any suggestions on getting the water temp. to come down? Im thinking just a routine water change with cooler water? I have all tetras in the tank. Theyre temp is usually 75-80

I would float bags of ice in the tank to cool it down, and blow a fan across the water

YEa I can do that... How about a bubbler? Does putting extra oxygen in the water help? I have one for that tamk just not being used at the moment

Add bottles of cold water in the corners of the tank

DONT CHANGE THE WATER!!!! You will shock the fish! I found that bags of ice helps alot. Brings the temp down slower than a water change.

Oh that's scary!

During a heat wave this summer my tank was at 92 degrees for more than 5 days! Obviously I had the heater off and 2 fans blowing on the tank (while I sat next to it to cool off too!). I used bags of ice to cool off my fish and it worked well.

The fish and I both pulled through. I hope yours do, too.

Back
Top Bottom