Heater Exploded: What do i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmwalters

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought an Aquatop Nanotherm 50W heater for my mom's 10 gallon yesterday on my lfs owner's recommendation. Today, during a routine water change, the thing up and exploded. The glass casing shattered and sent pieces into my tank along with all that black, silvery metallic stuff on the inside. Now I have done many water changes on my 20 gallon where the heater has been exposed to the air and nothing has happened. Why would this one do it? What do I do to clean up? All of the fish are out and in a 5 gallon bucket right now. Hopefully they survive, because a LOT of that metallic stuff got in the water and it has clouded up. I am just lucky that my had or arm was nowhere near it, because it was instantly boiling the water around it.

why don't you turn it off?!?!? its as easy as having your light, filter and heater hooked up to a power strip, than just flip the switch off during a water change. if its just a ten gallon tank, bring it outside with the hose and rinse it out. toss the substrate, it wont take much to replace in a 10 g. turn everything off for at lease 10 minutes before doing your water changes

I guess I have just never turned it off. I have never been told I needed to or that it would be a good idea to. I've never really had a problem before.

Maybe I should have turned it off. But it still shouldn't have exploded like that. I mean they should have a safety feature or something.

I guess I have just never turned it off. I have never been told I needed to or that it would be a good idea to. I've never really had a problem before.
Haha, now you've had a problem with it, and now you know how to prevent it. I also agree with the above post saying to just replace everything. Better than risking it and something going not so well.

Man today is quickly turning into one of those days... I guess this might be a good chance to change the substrate to eco complete and plant the thing. Maybe there is a little bit of good in every situation.

It wasn't mentioned in the instruction manual? ;)

well now you know :) make sure to turn EVERYTHING off during a water change. the filter can get burned up from lack of water, the lights can cause a surge if you accidentally splash them and your heater can explode just like you experienced. there are some heaters, like the aqueon pro fresh/salt heater, that are designed to handle anything you throw at them though

For those who care: the tank is back up and running. I went to petco after my class at 2 and got 10 lbs of black sand and a new heater. I gave almost a double dose of proem to make sure if any residue was clinging on to the sides of the glass it wouldn't be that harmful, also to help reduce stress. Everyone is moving around and happy, we'll see about the next couple of days.

Attachments

• image-659207511.jpg
    image-659207511.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 69
You should put your heater near the HOB filter, as it is supposed to be in an area with some current.

I recommend the new digital Cobalt heaters. They are all plastic and super accurate. They aren't sold at Petco or Petsmart but other LFS have them. They are pricey, $50 for your 10g size but worth every penny. :)

I recommend the new digital Cobalt heaters. They are all plastic and super accurate. They aren't sold at Petco or Petsmart but other LFS have them. They are pricey, $50 for your 10g size but worth every penny. :)
I have a 75W Cobalt and got it for 40.77 off Amazon :)

They aren't exactly plastic. Feels more like a heavy ceramic, but I'm not sure. Exceptional grade either way. Mine always keeps the water spot on

It says in ALL heater instructions to turn off when it's out of the water it's law

Most heaters even have a min water line on top

Back
Top Bottom