Heater Guards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoxieGrrrl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone use a heater guard for their sub heater? How often do fish get burned from swimming against a heater?

When the heater is on, it causes a graduated heat area, so fish should feel the warmer water before they get to the heater. I have never used a guard and had no problems. (8 tanks)

I think heater guards are meant to protect the heater from large, boisterous fish like oscars, not the other way around. :wink: My plecs hang out on the heater often. I wouldn't worry about it any more than I would worry about a cat sitting on the radiator - if it gets too hot, they'll just move along!

Right - believe it or not there are fish out there who will literally ram a heater and bust it up, so guards come very much in handy. Consider yourself lucky that you are unfamiliar with the need for them, lol!

I have heard of fish being burnt by the heater, but it's rare. I use one iny my 46 gallon for my 13" common pleco cause he's a monster and knocks into it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom