Heater Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Springbank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gal community tank. The present heater in the tank is the third heater to go bad in the last year and a half. One heater just quit, the last two would not hold a temp. The present one worked very well for 8 months or so, but a week ago lost it's control, running up the temp 5 degrees over the original set point.

I have a large pleco in the tank that "rearranges" things, and I'm wondering if its thrashing around and banging the heater might be the cause.

The present heater is a Rena, and until this week kept the temp within about .2 degrees. Are there anu "bullit" proof, or in this case Pleco-proof heaters on the market?

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the inline for the 75. I might try the Visi on the 20 I'm trying to get set up. I've had problems with heaters in my 40, but the one there now is working OK.

Thanks Again!

I'd say its taking a beating from him, I ha da big pleco that always loved beign by the heater for some reason, try a stealth there pretty nice and impact resistant, or a titanium heater would work well

The titanium ones won't be broken by being slammed (I had an oscar break a heater once, cleaning the glass out sucked), but I'm not sure the thermostat on them would be any more durable. If you're losing temp control that would probably be the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom