Heater is always needed or just advisable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexeir7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody, neebie here.
I just started the hobby doing a fish in cycle (on purpose) in an 10g with a young guppy. After 4 weeks the readings of amonia and nitrites are 0.
Now that my tank is fully cycled I'm planning on getting more companions for my lone warrior. And I have been reading that you MUST have a heater for your tank, but the problem is that neither my LFS nor I have a heater and it just seemed odd to me.
I live in central America and the weather here is always warm.

Although I don't have a heater my guppy fish seems happy and healthy.

●¿do I really need a heater?
●¿I could harm my fish if I don't have a heater? Any sickness stress or something.
●I have plants hornwort and jungle val ¿does it affects my plants?

Thanks everyone.

What is the temp of your water? If you think about it. A heater is used for two things.

To keep your water the temp for your aquatic fish. And to keep your tank from having tamp sways. So if anything you should have one for when it gets cold at night. The temp swings stress the fish. Another thing is. It may be possible that you will actually need a cooler, but that's based on what your temp is right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good points above. Having a thermometer in the tank is generally always useful as you know when tank water is getting too hot or cold. There are some places where the heater is just about a decoration for sure.

And welcome to the forum :) Thanks for joining us!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Right now I don't have a thermometer, but I'll buy one this weekend and look if my water temp doesn't fluctuate too much

I live in Orlando FL and sometimes in the winter it can get pretty cold but most of the year we are between 75-98. I keep my house 76-78 (that is comfortable for me) and therefore my room temperature is hot enough to keep the water consistent without a heater.

Never had a problem and owned A LOT of bettas.

I think everyone else here is on the right track: asking what your normal air temp is like...and getting the thermometer is not a bad idea either.

Remember that water temp is typically a few degrees cooler than air.

:fish2:

Wow... so unfair that it doesn't go under 75. Our lowest where I live in Canada is usually around 14 degrees Fahrenheit if I calculated that right xD

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom