Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2003, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to crocodylus
Heater placement

Where is the best place to put a submersible heater in relation with a power filter?
Is it at different ends? Is it under the filter intake? Is it close to the gravel?
All this for a 30G-50G setup using an EBO and a Penguin 330

Thanks in advance 8)

Old 07-15-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
As long as the heater is in the tank it should do its job fine. If you put it near the filter just make sure it isnt touching the filter, or any plastic plants, it probably wouldn't be enough to melt anything but just to be on the safe side..

Old 07-15-2003, 06:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea, like conan said, just about anywhere is fine.

if your tank is heavily planted or decorated, then placing the heater where you're assured water circulation is important ... if it's in a pocket of slow water, it won't heat your tank as efficently and would tend to "over heat" the water just in that area.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to reberly
I've noticed many of the veterans of AA have their heaters placed diagonally in their tanks. Is this purely aesthetic or do y'all know something we don't? Just curious.

Ryan
Old 07-15-2003, 07:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i got one veritcal and two diagional

the vertical one is hiding behind plants, so it's not "in your face, I'm a heater"

I think placing them on a slant helps water circulate better off the heater due to convection, helping to increase the efficiency on the heater.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:23 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
I usually place my heaters diagonally because my heaters have the thermostat in the top part and when the heater heats up the water it rises to the thermostat, then the heater shuts off. I find that when I set them up diagonally, the warm rising water doesn't affect the thermostat as often.

As fas as general placement, I prefer them near the filter output, or near powerheads, so the warm water circulates throughout the tank.

HTH
Old 07-15-2003, 10:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
i agree, near a power head the heat gets displaced fast and never stays warmer by the heater. i have noticed the top of the heater where the thermostat is, if near the top of the water it turns off sooner because the heat of the lights,making the surface warmer then deeper in tank.
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I put mine on the opposite end of the HOB filter. I read in one of my books that the constant waterflow over the heater will overheat the tank--I'm not sure if this is true but better safe than sorry. I have mine sitting at a diagnal for aesthetic reasons.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I never really thought about it before. My heater is next to the intake so as to circulate the warm water and it easily accessable if I need to adjust it.
Louise

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com