Heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My wife and I were looking at Tetra Submersible Heater's to use in out tank once we get the GF out of it. All of them were set at 78*F with no way to adjust them. Would those heaters be sufficient for just about any tropical fish? I see all sorts of temperature ranges when I am getting info on fish so it just seems odd that it would be stationary at 78*.

I won't say all, but just about any fish will be fine at 78F. That's a pretty middle of the road temperature, which is probably why it is set to that

IMO invest in a heater(s) that can go up to 90 ... if you should have an ich outbreak ... one of the treatments is getting the water temp above 86.

I won't say all, but just about any fish will be fine at 78F. That's a pretty middle of the road temperature, which is probably why it is set to that

Thanks. We are cycling a 10G tank right now and all its lacking is a heater so, we were hoping this would work!

IMO invest in a heater(s) that can go up to 90 ... if you should have an ich outbreak ... one of the treatments is getting the water temp above 86.

I was looking at a heater that would go to 90* but it is a bit out of my price range. THe heater we are looking at is $14 and should get us by for a few months until our financial situation is better. I will keep that information in mind though, and hope I never have to worry about ich :)

I was looking at a heater that would go to 90* but it is a bit out of my price range. THe heater we are looking at is $14 and should get us by for a few months until our financial situation is better. I will keep that information in mind though, and hope I never have to worry about ich :)

Yeah ... higher end heaters can get pricey .. but I'm certain Petco / Petsmart will offer sales soon enough. First chance you can buy one(y).

Yeah ... higher end heaters can get pricey .. but I'm certain Petco / Petsmart will offer sales soon enough. First chance you can buy one(y).

They actually just got them in here at the local Walmart (Just today actually). I try to buy what accessories I need from them because their prices are better than the Pet chain stores and they will take anything back. I like to know I can return something without a fight if it doesnt suit my needs :)

Petsmart often has heaters on sale, I've gotten a few from there for $10-20. I don't like those preset heaters either, but I'm sure they work just fine for every day use.

Its just gonna go in a 10G with some Celestial Danios and Dwarf Cory's. Its my first tropical tank, cant wait till its cycled so I can get my fish!

Just get a thermometer and check it at every feeding. I think you'll be ok.

On another note though: I had a top fin heater with painted or screen printed little blue spots. When I adjusted the position of the heater in the tank and once it was warm, the paint came off and disbursed in my tank. I got as much out with my net as possible but I think one of my Corys ate a paint chip and died as a result. I cannot prove that this was the case but I'm very suspicious. The paint chips look a lot like flake food. Just be very weary of what you put into thier environment.

I just took the water temp on both my tanks with a digital thermometer. Surprisingly both are at 84*f. Doesnt surprise me being that its constantly about 85* in my apartment since the AC died on us. I hope my goldies arent suffering because of it.

Back
Top Bottom