Heater rating question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WHOA, 200 W for a 16 gal? That's WAY to high. The general rule is 5 watts per gallon.

Someone could correct me. You can use any heater you want. But the end result if that heater malfunctions will be boiling water and dead live stock.

Yes you can use it if it can be set to a specific temp. I am currently using a 150 watt heater in my 10 gallon until I can buy a smaller one. You might want to plug it into a surge protector or GFI socket in case of malfunction. It will give you a little protection. However, there is always a chance of a malfunction. Just check the temp daily to make sure it is doing okay.

It is a risky move, as if it fails it is likely going to cook your fish. I have a 15 gal that is heated with a 50W and it has no trouble keeping the temp.

Make sure there is a lot of water movement around the heater. I had a 50 watt heater that just did not seem to be heating my 10 gallon. I moved it to another tank, after reading the directions, :oops: and it said there needed to be a lot of water movement around the heater. I put it in another tank with the outflow close to it. Now it is heating. Also make sure the top part with the control dial is out of the water. I have another heater that has to have that part out of the water or it does not work as well.

If you touch the heater when the red light is on and it is not at least warm then you have a bad heater. There could be a break in the heating elements not letting power travel along the coil. It is not fixable and you need another heater. Sometimes they just go bad.

The only thing that matters is that you're able to set it at the temperature that you want and it's decent at holding a consistent reading. I've got a 300w heater in my 29g. Waaaaaay more than I need, but it was one I was holding in reserve from something else. I've got it set at 71.5 degrees on the dial and that's holding my tank at 78.

I used to have 2 smaller heaters in this tank. One of the heaters died. LED was on, but was generating no heat. And the lone remaining heater was insufficient to keep the tank warm--dropped me down to 70 degrees (room temperature).

The lesson in all this is that a blown heater can ruin your day, whether you operate one overpowered heater or two that are just right.

Back
Top Bottom