Heater very hot to the touch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I understand it needs to be hot to heat the water, but it was so hot I could barely adjust the suction cups and get it stuck to the tank wall. That is another thing. The suction cups are not working. It sucks up to the wall, but within a few minutes it lets go. The heater is still held in place as the cord is kept snug under the hood so it holds it in place. I just want to be sure it is supposed to be so hot to the touch.

Also, I think some paint or whatever it is scraped off of the heater when I was adjusting the suction cups. I assume they would not put anything on the heater that would be harmful. It is a top fin. Got a good deal on it so I figured I would try it. No temperature indicators, just a plus and minus to adjust towards. Currently have it at the first notch on the low end or I guess it could be considered the second. I assume if it were all the way to the low end it would not heat so I have it on the first notch from low as opposed to right on low. It has already raised the temperature four degrees in the last hour and a half. A lot faster than I had expected. Is that increase too rapid? It was at 67 degrees, now at 71. Not sure if it is still climbing, but I am keeping an eye on it.

Additionally, I had planned to buy some tall plants (real plants) to put around it to camoflauge it, but like I said, it is hot to the touch so I figure any plants I put around it would get burned up. Any thoughts? Is it normal and the plants will be ok or what?

My heaters get pretty hot but never too hit to touch. My loaches actually lay on it so assume it be that bad. Have you called the company to tell them your concern? They may have a better answer.

With that said if its that hot I wouldn't out plants around it just yet. How old and what kind is it?

My heaters get pretty hot but never too hit to touch. My loaches actually lay on it so assume it be that bad. Have you called the company to tell them your concern? They may have a better answer.

With that said if its that hot I wouldn't out plants around it just yet. How old and what kind is it?

Just checked it again and it is definitely super hot. If my otocinclus tried to attach to it they would certainly get major injury so i took it out. Going to get an eheim jager tomorrow.

Just checked it again and it is definitely super hot. If my otocinclus tried to attach to it they would certainly get major injury so i took it out. Going to get an eheim jager tomorrow.

Wow, if its that hot good call!!

Great heater choice! Good luck!

I understand it needs to be hot to heat the water, but it was so hot I could barely adjust the suction cups and get it stuck to the tank wall. That is another thing. The suction cups are not working. It sucks up to the wall, but within a few minutes it lets go. The heater is still held in place as the cord is kept snug under the hood so it holds it in place. I just want to be sure it is supposed to be so hot to the touch.

Also, I think some paint or whatever it is scraped off of the heater when I was adjusting the suction cups. I assume they would not put anything on the heater that would be harmful. It is a top fin. Got a good deal on it so I figured I would try it. No temperature indicators, just a plus and minus to adjust towards. Currently have it at the first notch on the low end or I guess it could be considered the second. I assume if it were all the way to the low end it would not heat so I have it on the first notch from low as opposed to right on low. It has already raised the temperature four degrees in the last hour and a half. A lot faster than I had expected. Is that increase too rapid? It was at 67 degrees, now at 71. Not sure if it is still climbing, but I am keeping an eye on it.

Additionally, I had planned to buy some tall plants (real plants) to put around it to camoflauge it, but like I said, it is hot to the touch so I figure any plants I put around it would get burned up. Any thoughts? Is it normal and the plants will be ok or what?

Are you touching this heater in or out of water? Heaters obviously shouldnt be heated out of water but its worth asking?

Are you touching this heater in or out of water? Heaters obviously shouldnt be heated out of water but its worth asking?

It was in the water. I kept trying to adjust the suction cups and get it to stay on the glass. I kept it completely under water the whole time. When i touched the glass cylinder it was very hot. I guess they need to get pretty warm to raise the temp of water, but my otocinclus would have injured themselves for certain had i left it in there.

Back
Top Bottom