heaters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on a 55 gallon tank (soon!) and was wondering about heaters - do you all prefer two smaller heaters (one at each end) or one heater rated for the size of the tank? Also, what brand of heater do you prefer?

Are you looking at a canister filter or HOB? I personally really like my Hydor inline heaters with my canister filter. Completely removes that piece of equipment from the tank. They do cost a bit more though.

its better to have 2 smaller heaters then 1 heater in a tank. try to put them close to the intake or out put of the filters. i used to always say stealth but they been having some quality problems with the new ones.

i have a 55 i just use one 200 watts Top fin heater and its perfect

Are you looking at a canister filter or HOB? I personally really like my Hydor inline heaters with my canister filter. Completely removes that piece of equipment from the tank. They do cost a bit more though.

I am going to have HOB filter(s).

its better to have 2 smaller heaters then 1 heater in a tank. try to put them close to the intake or out put of the filters. i used to always say stealth but they been having some quality problems with the new ones.

Sounds like a plan - I am going to put two HOB filters on the tank and each one will get a heater. So a 55 gallon tank... get two filters that are each made for about a 30 gallon tank?

With my 75G, I had a heater rated for 50G's by one filter, and another one rated for 30G's by the other filter. :)

Thanks!

I am going to look at a tank on Friday. They actually have it up and running right now. It looks to be pretty nice and comes with a few things - we'll see what they have for filters, heaters, etc... but I would bet I'll end up replacing at least the filters/heaters.

Also, I do use the Stealth's, but the one that almost baked my fish was a Visi-Therm (the glass one) so I wouldn't get one of those. The reason I like the Stealth's is because they have a lifetime warranty, and Marineland will send you a replacement, (my new one should be here tomorrow). I believe the only Stealth they were having problems with was the 200W. So, I still recommend the Stealths because they are a reasonable price and are consistant. :) DO NOT get the ones from Walmart.

I've always been a fan of redundancy/backup/fail-safe helps to protect your investment... I would also get heaters that can just barely keep it at the right temp that way if one overheats it will have a hard time overheating your tank because the other one wont turn on when the temp starts to get to high

Sounds like a plan - I am going to put two HOB filters on the tank and each one will get a heater. So a 55 gallon tank... get two filters that are each made for about a 30 gallon tank?
i would go with 2 aquaclear 70s they over rate the filters. a general rule is cut what they say in half in some cases like the rena xp canisters even more then that.

I have two marineland stealth 250 watts and i agree with having 2 in the tank. I have mine pointing horizontal to allow for maximum heat dist. too

i would go with 2 aquaclear 70s they over rate the filters. a general rule is cut what they say in half in some cases like the rena xp canisters even more then that.

I have an AC50 on my 20 gallon right now and LOVE it. I still have my AqueanQuietFlow on there, but the AC really cleared up the water and is much quieter. I was thinking I would put an AC110 at one end and my AC 50 at the other end so I would not have to buy two 70s.

I have two marineland stealth 250 watts and i agree with having 2 in the tank. I have mine pointing horizontal to allow for maximum heat dist. too

That always bothers me when I see the heaters totally submerged... it just goes against everything I have been taught about water and electricity - I know it's perfectly ok, but it just goes against the grain :clown:

It used to freak me out too but so do huge chunks of metal called airplanes at 3000 ft above the ground or big metal subs under the water. Hahaha I got over it needless to say.

I have an AC50 on my 20 gallon right now and LOVE it. I still have my AqueanQuietFlow on there, but the AC really cleared up the water and is much quieter. I was thinking I would put an AC110 at one end and my AC 50 at the other end so I would not have to buy two 70s.
that would also work. i would also look into canisters they are more money but better in my mind often.

I prefer my 2 titanium heaters. Plan on going with them again for the new tanks. *Eyeballs my fiance and mutters about the stands STILL not being done*

Sometimes you can find canister filters on craigslist for dirt cheap. I got a couple off of there in like new condition for less than the cost of a HOB. Worth a look at least.

Back
Top Bottom