Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Heaters!!!

How often should aquarium heaters be replaced???
Im trying to increase the temperature of my tank at the moment but its staying around 24, even though i have set both heaters in my tank to 28.
Ive had the heaters for around 3-4 years and was wondering if im in need of new heaters???

Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Look It Up

Do you have an internal mercury thermometer? If not you could get one (they are very cheap), just don't get the strip ones, and compare it to what you set the heater to. If it's way off, then it might be time for a new one. Although I find 1-2 degree difference from what the heater is set to and what the thermometer reads is fairly normal as the heaters aren't exact. Also what size tank and what's the wattage of the heater? It's possible it's too small for the tank size; or do you have more than one?

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've found that my heater's setting dial must be set higher than the temperature I want the water to be. For example, my heater must be set for 83 F in order to heat the water to 80 F /26 C. In order to heat the water to 82 F, I must set the thermometer dial to 85 F. My heater is a new Aquaeon 50 Watt (sufficient for a 20 gallon) in a 10 gallon.

Heater internal thermometers are often a few degrees off -- higher or lower. So maybe try setting your heaters to 29 C or 30 C and see if the water temperature increases.

To be safe, increase water temperature slowly at the rate of 1 degree F per 12 hours.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you can turn your heater up until a thermometer measured degree is attained and then mark it on the heater somehow, it is called indexing your heater.

In a perfect world 80 would be 80. But, rarely are heaters accurate with their index. Once you index the heater to an actual measured temperature, they should be fairly accurate incrementally. However, it is recommended to always index your heater. Some of the nicer heaters have the ability to change the index for the variation.

Mine, for instance, has a 6 degree swing in the pointer that I can change. But, it is off even more than I can move the pointer. I have it set to the lowest variable and I put a sticker on top of the heater that says +2. That means if I want it 80, I set it to 82.

Hope that helps,
Dale_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

You basically only need to replace heaters once they are broken and dot work anymore. Whats your tank size and wattage of heaters?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeh I have a proper thermometer!I have 2 300 watt heaters in a 300 liter (80g) tank
Old 08-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright i think
That's good cause I have a 200w in ky 50gad works perfect so I'm sure your heaters will heat up unless thy broken .
Old 08-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeh because both heaters are set at 30 but the temp won't budge and stays around 25-26.that's why I'm concerned.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What brand is your heater?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeh because both heaters are set at 30 but the temp won't budge and stays around 25-26.that's why I'm concerned.

Tags
eat, eater, heaters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com