Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chval

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of treating for ICH with higher temps and salt. My problem - temp does not hold. I have a Hydor Theo 200 watt heater that my lfs sold me when I got the 55 gal tank back in January. According to Dr Foster & Smith's website, that heater is good for 26-53 gal. Should I invest in another heater to supplement the one I have or get a higher wattage one to replace the 200 watt

Connie

IMO, the 200w heater is not quite enough for your 55 gallon tank. In cooler months it will be on more than it is off, if it ever goes off. Either solution will work, some prefer the two heater method for the fact that it spreads the point of application around a bit more than having one source of heat.

Are you using a canister filter? Have you considered an inline heater? I went to one on my 55 gallon and have never looked back. It's by far the best way to heat a tank IMO.

I second the recommendation for an inline heater if you have a canister filter. The Hydor ETH 300 would be the only way to go. I have the smaller 200W heater on my 30g tank. You can find the ETH 300 at http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18532/si1382457/cl0/hydoreth300inlineheater300w.

If you don't have a canister filter then get a second heater (maybe 150W?) to supplement your existing one. That way if one heater fails for whatever reason you've still got something.

No, I don't have a canister filter. I have a Penguin 350. I will run to town to see if I can pick up another heater. Wasn't sure if two was the way to go or not.

Connie

Back
Top Bottom