Heaters are driving me crazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I have a 20 gallon long tank with some tank-raised panda cories. I've been having a heck of a time with the heaters that I've tried to use in the tank. I've tried a few different ones and NONE of them are able to turn off when they should. So, if the tank is at 73 and that's what I want, and I have the heater set at say, 70, (or whatever the lowest temp is) it won't turn off.

I like to do my orders off of Drs Foster and Smith. Could someone please point me to a heater I can order for my 20 gallon that won't cook my fish? They're much cuter when they're alive. :roll:

Your help would be much appreciated!!!

I've been using the Hagen Tronic heater in most of my tanks but am switching over to the Marineland Visi-Therm Stealth. I just bought one from Drs. Foster & Smith a few days ago. They are inexpensive, reliable and accurate IME. Because they are black they blend in well with most backgrounds. The only downside is that they have no visible indication when they turn on or off. The heaters are on sale now at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12060&N=2004+113767. I would recommend the 100W model based on your tank size.

I also have the stealth's in both my 20 gallon and my 10 gallon tank. No problems to report. I have them near the substrate flat so you can barely see them in my tanks. Very easy to make small corrections on temp and have not had a problem during water changes where they are dry for a couple minutes (they apparently auto-turn off when out of water).

Question though, why do you have the tank temp so low?

7Enigma I was going to ask the same question!! 70/73 degrees is either too cold or on the very low end of the spectrum for freshwater fish. I am curious as well why this is set so low.

I will concur with the Visi-therm. I have 4 of them, two in the 75g, one in the 30g and a spare. I haven't had to use the spare for going on 4 years. It always keeps the temps at what I set it for. I often forget that I have them. :)

73 (the number I suggested I'm aiming for) is about right for panda cories. I've read all over the place that they prefer slightly cooler water. PlanetCatfish, a reliable source of information on cories (in my opinion anyway), suggests 71.6 - 77 degrees.

I was just using those particular numbers to illustrate my point. I wouldn't plan on actually setting a properly functioning heater at 70 degrees since that would be a bit chilly!

Thanks for the heater recommendations. :D

Gee, it looks like Visi-Therm is the choice or reccomendation of most.

chase33 said:
Gee, it looks like Visi-Therm is the choice or reccomendation of most.

I noticed that too -- I'm planning to order one this week and try it out. :D

I'd shoot for 75F personally. Closer to their max temps (either too warm or cold) make fish more susceptible to disease/parasites. I've also personally found that it is easier to match temps during water changes by hand when the water is warmer. I don't know why, but the closer to 80F I get the easier it is to feel the difference between temps.

Back
Top Bottom