Heating solution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusilja

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey there :)

I started a 4.2 gallon aquarium.
I have an airpump, but I bought some plants and removed it.
And bought a filter (nano eckfilter) becouse I had fog in my aquarium, didn't wash the gravel (I mixed 2 kinds)

I added 2 drops of bacteria and my aqua is now very clear ^^
I use a desk lamp (energy savind, no special aqua lamp) for lighting.
But it doesn't provide any heat.

Is there an alternative for heating? I don't want to buy heating tubes from the store.

Thx ^^ :D

I heard you can put a candle in a tin can and seal it with waterproof material then put it under water,but this is temporary.So weird I know!

I heard you can put a candle in a tin can and seal it with waterproof material then put it under water,but this is temporary.So weird I know!
That's crazy dude xD I don't think it will do, the oxygene will be gone in minutes, it won't heat the water XD

the only thing other than a heater would be like a heating pad... they make them that stick to the bottom of the tank for reptiles. something like that, if they can be turned down, would work, but if the room temperature changes, so would the tanks

the only thing other than a heater would be like a heating pad... they make them that stick to the bottom of the tank for reptiles. something like that, if they can be turned down, would work, but if the room temperature changes, so would the tanks
Eh no thanks xD
Guess I'll have to buy an aquarium heating :cool:

If you're in the US, an aquarium heater for that small of a tank is pretty cheap. Alternatively, if you put cold water fish like white clouds in the tank, you don't need a heater.

If you're in the US, an aquarium heater for that small of a tank is pretty cheap. Alternatively, if you put cold water fish like white clouds in the tank, you don't need a heater.
Europe here,
I only have a 4.2 gallon. (16litre)

I'm thinking of putting guppy's/molly's or neons in there.
Btw what temp do neons need?

I use a 50W heater for my 5 gal. It is higher than needed, but as long as it is of good quality, it should shut off at a set temp & not over heat. I got it for ~$10 on sale. You can also find 25W's which is a better match for the tank size.

If you are to use a heating pad, you really should use that with a temp controller, or the tank will have fluctuating temp as the room temp changes. <And heating pads are not that great at putting out a constant temp ...> A good temp controller will cost more than a heater, so that is really not that great of an option.

Finally, you can always up your room temp .... If you have central heating, or even a thermostated in-room heater, you can just crank up the heat to heat both room & tank! <But then the heating bill would pay for the in tank heater in no time!>

Hey there (again xD)
A friend gave me his 50W (juwel) heater (tube)
On how many watt should I set it?
I have a 4.2 gallon (16 litre) --> 16 watt?

You can't really set the Watts! :)

You set the temperature. The heater will have a thermostat. It will turn on full when the temp is less than set, and turn off when it is at set temp. Having a bigger heater simply means it will turn on less frequently.

Some heaters don't have any temp markings, in that case you need to test the setting against a thermometer. Generally, you start low & gradually crank the dial up, checking the temp with a thermometer every few hours, until you get to the desired temperature

I very much doubt the heater is calibrated in watts. A Juwel is European, so it would be calibrated in Celsius. The 16 you are reading might be 16C.

You can't really set the Watts! :)

You set the temperature. The heater will have a thermostat. It will turn on full when the temp is less than set, and turn off when it is at set temp. Having a bigger heater simply means it will turn on less frequently.

Some heaters don't have any temp markings, in that case you need to test the setting against a thermometer. Generally, you start low & gradually crank the dial up, checking the temp with a thermometer every few hours, until you get to the desired temperature

I very much doubt the heater is calibrated in watts. A Juwel is European, so it would be calibrated in Celsius. The 16 you are reading might be 16C.

Ha yes,
there is 16-20-24-28-32 from which I can set.
I set it to 32 but that's a little too much I guess?

For the temp for neons set the thermostat to between 24 and 28 and check the temperature of the water with a thermometer to make sure the thermostat is working properly. 32 would be a bit too warm I think, 89 degrees Fahrenheit.

Back
Top Bottom