Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redtail_Monster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Found this forum while searching Apps on my phone. I am new into the fish world, having had my tanks for just over a year now. I am excited to check out the site, and it looks like a found a great place to find good advice when needed.

That said... Hello All...

-Dan

EDIT: Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, not sure how to remove or relocate it. My apologies

Last edited:
Redtail_Monster said:
Found this forum while searching Apps on my phone. I am new into the fish world, having had my tanks for just over a year now. I am excited to check out the site, and it looks like a found a great place to find good advice when needed.

That said... Hello All...

-Dan

Hey there. I'm pretty new here as well but I am a seasoned aquarist. What are your setups?

I have 3 tanks, a 10g w assort. Plecos, 37g w Columbian sharks, black ghost knife, common pleco, Altum angels, and a snowflake eel. And my monster tank is a 55g (trying to get a 150g setup) with a 14" common pleco, 12" Florida Gar, and a 11" Redtail catfish.

Redtail_Monster said:
I have 3 tanks, a 10g w assort. Plecos, 37g w Columbian sharks, black ghost knife, common pleco, Altum angels, and a snowflake eel. And my monster tank is a 55g (trying to get a 150g setup) with a 14" common pleco, 12" Florida Gar, and a 11" Redtail catfish.

Welcome! Unfortunately, your tanks are far too small for your chosen fish. I'd rehome the gar, plecos, BGK, and redtail cat until you get a much larger tank. You'll need a 500-1000 gallon tank for the redtail and some of the other large fish like the gar alone, plus two or three hundred gallon tanks for the other fish.
But welcome to AA! I hope you are having fun.
Edit- your snowflake eel will require a large fully saltwater aquarium, and your angels, BGK, and common pleco need full freshwater.

Let's be nice, the OP most likely did not know that his fish needed that big of a tank. But now we can help him out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You desperately need to look into sorting out your stock in those tanks, the fish you have are far too big, and you will have no end of problems and the fish will suffer...

Obviously the o.p. wasn't aware of their growout problem, the important thing is they found this site and now we can help. Ridicule at this point is the last thing we need be doing.

Cichlid Kid said:
Obviously the o.p. wasn't aware of their growout problem, the important thing is they found this site and now we can help. Ridicule at this point is the last thing we need be doing.

Agreed we all start somewhere. Restocking is needed though.

bud29 said:
Please read this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/a-friendly-reminder-about-tact-215028.html

Oh, and I forgot to say this earlier, Dan, but :welcome: to the forum! I hope we can help you out!

Thank you for this link. Honestly I wasn't going to come back... Clearly some people here want to help, and some are just... Yea.

I inherited most of these fish, including the entire 55g tank w/fish. And the snowflake eel and the BGK.

I am completely aware the 55 is too small, and I know the 150g I am setting up will only get me by temporarily.

Being new, I would think some might ask more questions rather than jump to conclusions and judge me... But hey, just speaks to their character!

Thanks to all who were polite, and, well... No thanks to the rest!

well, the 150 will at least be able to be a permanent home to the BGK and common pleco, so that's good. I would definitely rehome the eel, gar, and catfish, and I don't know too much about the sharks, someone else will have to tell you about those.

Glad you came back. You'll like it here. :)

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the position you were in. Good for you for taking the initiative and joining! Some people here are downers but most aren't. We may seem a little harsh but we are trying to do are best to help everyone.;)

Redtail_Monster said:
Thank you for this link. Honestly I wasn't going to come back... Clearly some people here want to help, and some are just... Yea.

I inherited most of these fish, including the entire 55g tank w/fish. And the snowflake eel and the BGK.

I am completely aware the 55 is too small, and I know the 150g I am setting up will only get me by temporarily.

Being new, I would think some might ask more questions rather than jump to conclusions and judge me... But hey, just speaks to their character!

Thanks to all who were polite, and, well... No thanks to the rest!

Would it be possible to build a large tank or pond?

The eel and BGK will be finding a new home soon.

Thanks for the advice.. I was put in a position and took these from a aquantance. I do have a plan for all these fish, and priority 1 is larger tanks for all. I have a few options in the next month or so that should clear up all these issues.

Just to be clear from my end.. I am not some idiot that is "making my fish suffer". They are in far better hands than what they were 2 months ago. I love all my animals... And believe me, if these large tanks were free, I would have 1000's of gallons... But since it all costs money, its taking me some time to fix the mess I took over.

Just to clarify, you wouldn't have to rehome the BGK, that could actually work in a 150, but if you've already set something up that's perfectly fine.

Redtail_Monster said:
You should have seen how things were before I took them over.

Maybe try asking me about it rather than just being a *!

I definitely congratulate you
Most of us are the same way.
You'll have MTS soon!(multiple tank syndrome)

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the rather harsh welcome you received from a few of the members. The thread has been cleaned up and hopefully we can move forward with helping you rather than being judgemental.

Is there a doctor's office, library, school or a zoo in the area that might be able to take some of those off your hands? How about an LFS that would look for a good home for some of them?

Redtail_Monster said:
An indoor pond is one of the options I have been considering

If you have the space, money, and time definitely go for it!

Well at least you took the initiative to get the 150g which shows your thinking ahead plus it buys you some time to figure out what you wanna do. How big are your current fishes? If doing an inside pond is truly an option i envy you! It's something I've always wanted to do.
Welcome to the club!

Back
Top Bottom