Hello all just some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonspoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i post something similar possibly in re wrong spot.

I have a 69.5 litre tank with 1 black moor 4 shubumkins and 2 golden apple snales.
I had them in a starter kit tank for a few months as it seamed fine but have since mobed them to the bigger tank.
They seem to love it but after a week it has become cloudy and the black moor was sitting at the bottom of the tank last night. After a 10% water change he now seems fine. He has cloudy eyes and has for a few weeks i assumed it was normal untill i read some things on here. None of the other fish are affected and all seem fine. I dont have a gravel vacume but one is on its way i also dont have a water test kit bit will ne getting one.

Any tip and advice would ne great

Thanks

Ok but what about the cloudy eyes and the sitting on bottom of the tank?

Did you cycle your tank?

Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH?

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

Probably ammonia poisoning from being crammed in the small tank and then the bigger but still inadequate tank, but need more information to tell.

If you don't have one I suggest getting the api freshwater master test kit so you can test your water (if you don't already), that's the only way to know what's going on.

Might be blind from the ammonia. My female GBR became blind due to ammonia and my boneheadedness. I was an idiot not thinking about a mini cycle when I rebuilt my aquarium. Symptoms for you to look for are the cloudiness, being at the bottom of the tank, not moving much, and scared of anything that comes near him/her. Also will not eat.

If this is the case, remove anything that can tear the fins up due the fish being skittish and running into things (driftwood, sharp rocks, etc). Let me know if your fish is blind and I will further advise.

If you do have any type of ammonia, immediately do 50% water changes daily. Ammonia is extremely toxic.

Been researching, Popeye symptoms may include...eyes may be cloudy, hazy or protruding. So seems it may be bacterial, would recommend Maracyn plus by fritzaquatics. I have used this for other bacterial issues and really like their products.

Abw0004 you are absolutely correct also, if water chemistry is OK I'd say Popeye. If not your diagnosis is probably right. Really interested in learning something here myself, while hopefully helping the OP. Feel like Autumnsky remembered I had a box of this in my fish closet. Lol

Cool thanks ill grab a test kit today. He still eats and dosnt seem scared of anything he it the explorer of the bunch. How would i tell if he is just blind?

Also i dont know how it works but wouldnt all the fish be affected if its bad water conditions?

Not all fish will be affected at the same time, sometimes but not always (50/50 IMHO).

This is why you test the water, then you can start ruling things out. Most diseases are caused by stress, so need to find out what's causing that while treating disease also. Then when you get through this should be smooth sailing instead of one setback followed by another. However fish tanks seem to be a never ending adventure, however you will learn what to do and look for.

Lots of help here.

Overcrowding is your biggest concern, like you and five of your friends living in your closet. If you read the first link, your tank is not big enough for the moor, let alone him and the shubunkins.

69.5l=about 18.5 gallons, can't remember exactly figured it this morning. Also what are the dimensions of the tank, need a certain footprint to have enough room to swim.

You didn't answer the questions, we're just trying to help (not judge, we've all been there) but we need that information or this won't be your last issue most likely.

Last edited:
Do water changes daily until you can test the water. That's really allowed we can say until we find out if it's good or not. Would use seachem Prime if you have it, prime will detoxify water if small amounts of ammonia and nitrites are present.

Ok so i got a test and the ph levels seem fine it said on the vox for goldfish should be 7.5 and the kit says its about 7.2

Did you get the master test kit that also tests for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate. Those are what you really need to worry about. Overstocking means they're producing enormous amounts of waste probably need to do partial water changes more frequently.

Can't stress enough, need to eventually rehomed all of the goldfish, or get a big tank or pond.

I have now swsped out the plastic plants for live plants

Back
Top Bottom