Hello everyone,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishworldman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new here. I have just finished fishless cycle for a 125G i plan to do tropical fish. I was googling some stocking ideas so far I got:

12-15 ghost cat fish (recomended schooling)
About 10 tetra of some kind
1 snowball pleco
4-6 German blue rams ( try to get 2 pairs)
Maybe an angel fish gotta check that out
Maybe a black ghost knife ?

How does this sound? I 'm open to suggestions.

:welcome: to the forum!

The only problem I see is that a Black Ghost Knife (BGK) will eat the tetras. The African Brown Knife is a knifefish that does better in community setups, and it is much smaller. I think you could add some more bottom dwellers, but that is up to you. As for tetras, with your stock you probably want to do some larger tetras. Emperor Tetras and Bloodfin Tetras come to mind.

I was thinking along the lines of the bleeding heart tetras the seem pretty big but I will look into the others as well. Would a african feather fin catfish be better than a knifefish?

AFF's can get up to about 8 inches and can eat smaller fish. In a 125 you could do 6 angels or a pair. For larger tetra's you have Congo's and Emperor's. In that size tank you can also do a nice school of colorful rainbow fish. Instead of a knife or AFF you could do a school of loaches, there are some really cool looking ones.

I`m going to have to look into loaches. We picked up 4 angels hoping we get a pair. Our snowball pleco sould have been here by 11 but still not here :-\. My son really wants a AFF so maybe we'll have stay away from small fish unsure tho because i really want german blue rams. And my lfs said the tetras would nip the angels fins. Fin nippers lol. Theres a fish specialty store like 2 hrs from here we are going to go to thursday hopefully find some cool things :)

Not all tetra's are fin nippers. I've kept cardinal, rummy nose, diamond, and lemon tetra's with my angels without nipping issues. Right now I have 10 angels with a school of 21 rummy nose tetra's and 13 diamond tetra's. Another really neat fish are Threadfin Rainbowfish. I also have a school of them with the above fish. Here's a link to look at them.... Threadfin Rainbow - Medium Tropical Freshwater Fish for Sale

Wow they are amazing! I think I am going to have get some. They are really cool looking. Now they have some adult angels at my ifs that are white and yellow, (that were brought in by someone) that you can see red around there gill area from the outside of them buts it looks like blood. The ifs didnt know why. I was googling could it be ammonia poisoning? Poor fishies.

My lfs also said ghost cats wont get along with any other cats? Im not understanding that because all ghost cats ive seem swim middle to top why wouldnt they get along with a bottom cat? And they said i need atleast 20 of them??? 12-15 would work ughh this lfs is upsetting me every worker tells me something diff.

Ghost cats are peaceful, tend to school very close, and love if they have plants to hang by. In the 80's I have a school of around 6 and they did fine. You don't need a giant school. Sounds like you should take what they say with a grain of salt. I love my Threadfins! And here is a link to where I get my angels from Mellow Aquatics | The Best Freshwater Angelfish For Sale. The reason I buy them is you pick the actual fish you want to buy and I have always gotten quality angels from them.

Thank you very much for the link. They have a blue one and I've been looking for a blue!! Thank you for sharing :). So I`ll be fine with my 12 ghost pew 20+ would get a lil expensive for one set lol.

I've got a blue platinum veil (think that's what he is-I have his paper somewhere) and I wish I had gotten more. The older he gets the richer blue gray his color gets. I've got a gold super veil, a couple platinum pearl scale viels, koi viels, and a silver orange veil and other veils. I'm a big fan of the blue platinums and the pearl scales. Don't think you'd be unhappy with his fish.

Back
Top Bottom