Hello I am a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I am new to the world of fish keeping. I have had my my 31g tank for about 2 months and am loving it. It is a fresh water tank with some real plants I strarted with 4 silver mollies 3 sunset platys 2 catfish. But last week I added 5 neon tetra and 1 golden gourami. And today one of the neons has gone missing there is a lid on the tank. does Any one have any ideas what could of happened/ eaten it.

Congrats on your tank and welcome to AA, (I just joined a few days ago)!

I've had that happen w/ Tetras. Chances are it's hiding, but sadly, you can't rule out that somebody ate the poor little thing. That is my only complaint about Tetras... they are so small and they love to hide so it's tough to find them unless they're schooling w/ their buddies.

welcome to AA!

what kind of catfish do you have? if they are larger catfish, chances are the tetra was eaten. there is also a chance it could have died and gotten wedged somewhere, so keep looking for it, because you don't want it in there rotting and adding extra ammonia to the tank.

Small fish like neons can disappear quickly in a tank. The catfish may have gotten it, but most likely it just got stuck somewhere and decomposed. Keep an eye on your water parameters.

Thank you all for my welcome and the advice it is much appreciated. I hope I can get up to speed enough to help others one day. I have been watching my tank this evening and have noticed my golden gourami is always chasing my mollys and haveing a go at them will he settle. I am thinking he is why I am missing a tetra. Are they normally aggressive

Gouramis can be pretty aggressive. Try adding plants to break up sight lines in the tank. "Out of sight, out of mind" definitely applies to fish.

Back
Top Bottom