hello... need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
new to this site... visited many times the past month. but i just got around to becoming a member. first off i have a 20gal with one dwarf gourami,1 killie,4black tetras,and 7neons. my 10gal has a electric blue cray only about 2" at the moment. i was wondering if anyone would know where to get a orange (dwarf mexican) crayfish for my 20gal or if it would even fit with what i have in it already. ive been having trouble getting any info so any feedback would b helpful.

You'll be taking a chance. If he can catch ur fish and eat it, he will. You can try feeding it sinking pellets of some form to "train" him to not go after the fish... Never worked with mines, except for my ghost shrimps... Lol. All the times I've added shrimps of crayfish to my tanks, the fish are just extras...

I keep them in my 29g community. I ordered mine on aquabid. I had to pay quite a bit I guess..$39 for 1 male + 1 female plus $15 shipping. I watched ebay and aquabid for months and that's about the best you can do from a reputable seller. But I also bought shrimp from the guy and he didn't charge any extra shipping so it was okay :)

You'll be taking a chance. If he can catch ur fish and eat it, he will. You can try feeding it sinking pellets of some form to "train" him to not go after the fish... Never worked with mines, except for my ghost shrimps... Lol. All the times I've added shrimps of crayfish to my tanks, the fish are just extras...

The mexican crays or dwarf patz..often referred to as CPO's..only reach a size of about 2". When I first added mine to the tank they lurched at the fish a bit..they were just scared..but were too small to hurt anyone..now that they know the fish they are with aren't a danger to them they are completely peaceful. I would worry more about making sure the fish don't hurt the cray than the other way around. The blue cray on the other hand, I also keep in it's own tank. They are ferocious ;) Oh watch the killi..if anyone going to go after the crays it's probably the killi. And do make sure you have good hiding spots for them.

Moving this to the FW general discussion forum. More people will see it there.

I tried aquabids and didn't find anything. But I did have my killie with my blue cray (Bob) b4 I knew that crays were that aggressive. He usually sat on top away from most dangers and nvr saw him have any interest in attacking my cray.

I tried aquabids and didn't find anything. But I did have my killie with my blue cray (Bob) b4 I knew that crays were that aggressive. He usually sat on top away from most dangers and nvr saw him have any interest in attacking my cray.

Make sure you are searching for CPO and dwarf patz. Mexican cray typically will not turn up any results. They are there for sure. The same 2 sellers always have them listed on ebay and aquabid..but they do a slightly lower price on aquabid usually.

So If they are that shy and peaceful the best option is not to mix them with anything... Why have it all stressed out and scared all the time.... An entire tank to itself sounds perfect.

Oh they aren't shy at all. They are right out there with everybody for a lot of day. I was just referring when they were initially added to the tank. Most critters are shy and a bit fearful when first introduced to a new home. They'd for sure like a species only tank if that's what you want to do (people usually at least keep dwarf shrimp with them) but they are also great in a community. The opposite of most crays which I would not reccomend for a community tank. They don't get much larger than your average ghost shrimp, so you just want to take care their tank mates aren't aggresive towards small tank mates like that. If you are unsure, I would go buy some cheap ghost shrimp first and see how they fair in your tank. If your fish leave them alone, they will fine with the CPO. Also do not worry if they hide for several days and you do not see them..like other crays and crabs they molt and typically hide while their new shell hardens :)

Thanks for the help... found the right site. So if I had adequate hiding places for the lil guys would 2 fit comfortably in my 20gal?

Back
Top Bottom