Hello.. Plz need help . Regardng Guppy fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anujblink

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 5 Guppy fish.. 2 females and 3 males... One of the female luks so big and her tummy is kinda big(have attacthed pics, plz take a look),

I know she is pregnant, bt i just wanna knw when will she start to drop babies?? And wod shud i do now?? I have planted 3 artificial plants in one corner of the aquarium for hiding places... Will that help?? Or shud i place her in different tank?? I have small pot , can i place her alone ??

Note:- i also have 6 black widow , sucker fish and small red ear turtle(which has been harmless for other fishes so far....)
And i have15 gallons tank.. Power internal filter, air stone and heater.

Plz help

She is pretty fat. Do you see the dark spot under her belly at the back ? It is called the gravid spot, and when the babies are near to being born, you can actually see them there, the eyes show through.

There is no way to tell just when it will happen, but if you can see eyes, it will be very soon. If you can get a breeding net and put her in it, once she has them, you take her out and the babies stay in there, protected from being eaten by the other fishes, and their mother, who will eat them too.

You could put her in another small container, and treat it like you would a Betta fish, but it would need to be at least a couple of gallons in size, and it could be some time before she gives birth. I think the breeder net is a better idea.

If you can get some breeding grass, that can give babies a place to hide. Or floating plant with heavy root systems are good for fry to hide in too. But in a tank that size, most will be eaten if they are not confined to a net or breeder box. Breeder boxes are small, float, and have a space at the bottom where the fry can get through, but the Mama fish can't fit. Once born, you take the Mama fish out, as with the net.

Feed them flakes crushed to a fine powder when they are tiny.

She is pretty fat. Do you see the dark spot under her belly at the back ? It is called the gravid spot, and when the babies are near to being born, you can actually see them there, the eyes show through.

There is no way to tell just when it will happen, but if you can see eyes, it will be very soon. If you can get a breeding net and put her in it, once she has them, you take her out and the babies stay in there, protected from being eaten by the other fishes, and their mother, who will eat them too.

You could put her in another small container, and treat it like you would a Betta fish, but it would need to be at least a couple of gallons in size, and it could be some time before she gives birth. I think the breeder net is a better idea.

If you can get some breeding grass, that can give babies a place to hide. Or floating plant with heavy root systems are good for fry to hide in too. But in a tank that size, most will be eaten if they are not confined to a net or breeder box. Breeder boxes are small, float, and have a space at the bottom where the fry can get through, but the Mama fish can't fit. Once born, you take the Mama fish out, as with the net.

Feed them flakes crushed to a fine powder when they are tiny.

Thank you, m just excited abt it,. Cz it wud b 1st tym mah fish will give babies,. Breeding net seems good idea.
Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom