Help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

infyrna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a new fish today (a blood red parrot) and when I put him in the tank, he just dropped down to the bottom and stayed there. He is currently hiding behind a plant and will not move or swim. Is he scared, shocked, stressed??? He was fine in the petsmart tank. I had petsmart test my water and they said it was all good, that is why I bought the fish. But, I bought some ammonia strips and they said there are mild stress levels of ammonia. Is that enough to be making the fish act like this? It has been cycling about 4 weeks with glo fish. I really would like to know what I can do for him. I turned up the heat in hopes he's just a little chilly... has anyone had a fish do this? Is it the transport that bothered him or what? I'm clueless! help

Transporting a fish, and putting him or her into a new tank, is an extremely stressful thing. Many fish will not fully acclimate for weeks, some (like a Piranha) can go for longer.

Is there a lot of cover in your tank?

Yes, I tested the water for ammonia today. It was yellow with a slight tinge of green. So, it may have a small stress as far as that goes. There is no nitrite or nitrate registering. The PH is fine, and the temperature is about 78-80 degrees. I have no air pump at this time- would that help? I can do another water change tomorrow if need be. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I wake up- the fish will either be swimming around or remain glued to the bottom of the tank. He just looks scared or something.

Thank you all for your quick responses, I appreciate it. I really hope he is just scared from the transport, and hope he'll perk up soon. I have pretty good cover in my tank. 4 plants, and two big logs with plants attached. The petsmart tank he was fine in had no cover what so ever? I really wanted to be a good fish owner, and have decent conditions for the fish I buy. I tried to cycle it, keep the water changed, and do testing, but yet the fish I buy sinks to bottom and looks like he's just seen a shark!

Question: Did you float the bag in the tank before releasing him? If not, this is likely the cause, but he should perk up in a bit.

Also is there any plants/hiding places in the tank? It could be like an insecurity feeling.

Back
Top Bottom