Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphira

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hai Everyone!
First of all, I want to thank all who take the time into reading this post. Next I would like to ask for help xD

• How do I keep my tanks temperature to keep changing and staying pretty much the same?
  • What kind of light bulb should I get so that it doesnt influence the temperature? (if its possible)
  • I need to make a water change in my tank. How many times should I do it, lets say, every month? Should I do a water change every week of ____%? 2 week? 3 week? Etc.
  • Do I have to take out all the fish from the aquarium to perform any water changes?
  • If I am working with a medication for my fish, will that change the amount of water changes I should perform?
  • Should I use "waste control" product even if I have a Oto cat?

Thank you once again for your time! Take care and be safe, everyone!
:fish1:

Hai Everyone!
First of all, I want to thank all who take the time into reading this post. Next I would like to ask for help xD

• How do I keep my tanks temperature to keep changing and staying pretty much the same?
  • What kind of light bulb should I get so that it doesnt influence the temperature? (if its possible)
  • I need to make a water change in my tank. How many times should I do it, lets say, every month? Should I do a water change every week of ____%? 2 week? 3 week? Etc.
  • Do I have to take out all the fish from the aquarium to perform any water changes?
  • If I am working with a medication for my fish, will that change the amount of water changes I should perform?
  • Should I use "waste control" product even if I have a Oto cat?

Thank you once again for your time! Take care and be safe, everyone!

Well I can answer one of your questions......you don't have to take your fish out of the aquarium when doing a water change.:)

1) does your tank get cold or hot? if it gets too cold, you need a heater. if it gets hot, you need a chiller
2) LED lights won't influence the temperature of your water in any significant amount. it costs more to get a strong enough set of LED lights to grow plants, though, if you were looking into that.
3) your water change schedule is yours to decide on. some people like to do more frequent smaller changes, like 10% every 3 days, or some people like to do less often big changes, like 50% every 2 weeks. do whatever you like best, it doesn't matter much as long as your fish are alive and your tank is clean as you want it to be.
4) no
5) read the directions on the medication. it will usually tell you how to do water changes
6) what waste control product are you talking about?

You don't need to remove your fish...it is generally good to do a 30% water change with a siphon every week (about 1/3)...

As for temperature what is the problem? what make is your heater? the best that I have found is the Jager Subermerisble Heaters (make sure that the heater was made in germany)

As for medication it would be best to setup a cycled hospital tank...or have a local lfs that will treat your fish for you (my lfs doubles as a veterinary hospital for fishies ^^)

As for waste control what type are you looking into? The most common waste problem you will face is from nitrates. If you are really worried about them I would suggest looking into getting a denitrator. Generally keeping up with water changes and replacing your carbon when instructed should keep the nitrates under control. Of course not over feeding our fish ^^

1) does your tank get cold or hot? if it gets too cold, you need a heater. if it gets hot, you need a chiller
2) LED lights won't influence the temperature of your water in any significant amount. it costs more to get a strong enough set of LED lights to grow plants, though, if you were looking into that.
3) your water change schedule is yours to decide on. some people like to do more frequent smaller changes, like 10% every 3 days, or some people like to do less often big changes, like 50% every 2 weeks. do whatever you like best, it doesn't matter much as long as your fish are alive and your tank is clean as you want it to be.
4) no
5) read the directions on the medication. it will usually tell you how to do water changes
6) what waste control product are you talking about?

The water tends to get way too warm, in the summer. Though, since its passed, then Id be looking for a chiller for next summer :D! I never thought about LEDs!!! I am so happy u told me, now I know what I should be looking for x3
The waste control is from Nutrafin, it jus says waste control. I figured tho, that I shouldnt be putting some in because of my bottom feeder o_O so Im jus so unsure xD

You don't need to remove your fish...it is generally good to do a 30% water change with a siphon every week (about 1/3)...

As for temperature what is the problem? what make is your heater? the best that I have found is the Jager Subermerisble Heaters (make sure that the heater was made in germany)

As for medication it would be best to setup a cycled hospital tank...or have a local lfs that will treat your fish for you (my lfs doubles as a veterinary hospital for fishies ^^)

As for waste control what type are you looking into? The most common waste problem you will face is from nitrates. If you are really worried about them I would suggest looking into getting a denitrator. Generally keeping up with water changes and replacing your carbon when instructed should keep the nitrates under control. Of course not over feeding our fish ^^

Are hospital tanks really good? Do they have to be big, like err 10 gallons, idk o_O What is a denitrator....? Wow, Ive always taken my fishies out of their tanks to make a water change xD I fail, seriously.

Can I though, add water while they are still inside? Does it matter? Should I make COMPLETE water changes each month? I usually do...:fish1:

Are hospital tanks really good? Do they have to be big, like err 10 gallons, idk o_O What is a denitrator....? Wow, Ive always taken my fishies out of their tanks to make a water change xD I fail, seriously.

Can I though, add water while they are still inside? Does it matter? Should I make COMPLETE water changes each month? I usually do...:fish1:

As far as water changes go, I have had great success with doing a 40-50% water change about every 10 days or so. I store water in containers so it is already room temp before putting it in the tank, and yes, the fish can be in there during this process. (My fish actually "play" in the stream of water as I pour it in, every time, without fail!)
Are you treating your tap water with a dechlorinator?

As far as water changes go, I have had great success with doing a 40-50% water change about every 10 days or so. I store water in containers so it is already room temp before putting it in the tank, and yes, the fish can be in there during this process. (My fish actually "play" in the stream of water as I pour it in, every time, without fail!)
Are you treating your tap water with a dechlorinator?

I always do. I read though that I could, instead, let the water for a day in a big container and it would be fine to use it without the dechlorinator. Is that true? Oh, and is there a good brand of dechlorinator I should use; cause im not sure about the one im using now...

:thanks:

I always do. I read though that I could, instead, let the water for a day in a big container and it would be fine to use it without the dechlorinator. Is that true? Oh, and is there a good brand of dechlorinator I should use; cause im not sure about the one im using now...

:thanks:

I read that too, about leaving the water out to dechlorinate and found out later that, although it does take care of the chlorine, it does not take care of the chloramines that is in most tap water and can be just as harmful to your little critters. I highly recommend Seachem Prime - it takes care of all of it & then some. It's reasonably priced and can be picked up at any pet store. I actually got mine for even cheaper on eBay :)

To be on the safe side just get an RO unit. This way you can also install an automatic top of system. Also, doubles for drinking water for the whole family -.^.

If you are adding more fish to the tank a hospital tank is a must. Since you will need to isolate your new fish for at least 2 weeks before adding to your tank. Fishies like tangs get stressed easily and are prone to ich.

My lfs quarantines all there fish and will treat any sick fishies from broken jaws to ich. Saves me from having to set up a hospital tank. Unless you lfs does this you will need to get one.

I read that too, about leaving the water out to dechlorinate and found out later that, although it does take care of the chlorine, it does not take care of the chloramines that is in most tap water and can be just as harmful to your little critters. I highly recommend Seachem Prime - it takes care of all of it & then some. It's reasonably priced and can be picked up at any pet store. I actually got mine for even cheaper on eBay :)

Seachem Prime...Ive never seen it in ANY pet store LOL && everytime I go in town, Im in the petstore looking about xD Bah, I guess Ill look on ebay or jus go back to the pet store to look once more before going on ebay....cause Ive had bad experiences on ebay but whatever LMAO!!! The one I have right now doesnt seem to do BOTH but errr...Ill just have to check later.

Do you know about any other products I should be looking out for? Like idk, waste control and all those products I should be putting in the water x3 It would be amazing to know!!!

Thank u so much && have an amazing day!!! :ROFLMAO: <--- LOL

Do you have a cycled tank?
What size tank do you have?
How many / what fish?

Yes I cycle the tank...but with a product I bought, is that the same?
My aquarium is 5 gallons but I will upgrade soon :DDDD
I have 5 Neons (1 died and idk why ;.;when I had 6) and 1 Otocinclus! <3
:fish1::fish2::fish1:

To be on the safe side just get an RO unit. This way you can also install an automatic top of system. Also, doubles for drinking water for the whole family -.^.

If you are adding more fish to the tank a hospital tank is a must. Since you will need to isolate your new fish for at least 2 weeks before adding to your tank. Fishies like tangs get stressed easily and are prone to ich.

My lfs quarantines all there fish and will treat any sick fishies from broken jaws to ich. Saves me from having to set up a hospital tank. Unless you lfs does this you will need to get one.

What are IFS? Sorry, youve mentioned it so many times and im still clueless about it...like, IF my fishies are sick? is that why you write IFS? x3

OMG broken jaws!? THAT is really scary!!! How could a fishie have a broken Jaw!? I hope none of mine have! What does it look like!? Im really scared now x-x!

By the way, what is a RO unit? Ive never heard about that...and Ive never isolated my fishies for 2 weeks in another tank...oh mi gawd...I am still sooo ignorant! Good thing you guys are here to help everyone learn!!!

Thank you so much Mysticeel! <333 HAVE AN AMAZING DAYYYY! xoxox

Back
Top Bottom