Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N.Galvin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found my one of my mollies dead, it must of been there around a day before i found it and since then two of my neons have died i( i think the filter sucked them up tbh) and my red tail shark is full of white spots so i have done a 50% water change and the water is fine, what do indo about the white spots

The white spots sound like it could be ich, does it look like your fish took a dive into a sand pile?

But let's start this off right,
How long has the tank been set up?
What are your exact water parameters?
How long have you had the fish?
What size tank is it?

Answering these kind of questions right off the bat will help others help diagnose what could be wrong.

Can you get a pic? Does it looks like the fish is sprinkled with salt? If so it's possibly ich whine can be treated with raising the temp slowly to 86F, frequent water changes with a good vac. Leave the heat up for at least week after the last spot is seen. If the spots are bigger or fuzzy it could be a fungus.

I found my one of my mollies dead, it must of been there around a day before i found it and since then two of my neons have died i( i think the filter sucked them up tbh) and my red tail shark is full of white spots so i have done a 50% water change and the water is fine, what do indo about the white spots

The ich would explain why your other fish died. I had this occur once and heat isn't necessary. All I did to clear mine up was large daily water changes with salt (100%). The water changes are the most important part!

I had this occur once and heat isn't necessary.
The water changes are the most important part!

Yes the water changes are the most important part because that's how you get the parasite out of the the tank but heat is also important because it speeds up the lifecycle of the parasite to the stage where it falls off of the fish. Thus where water changes come in.

Yes the water changes are the most important part because that's how you get the parasite out of the the tank but heat is also important because it speeds up the lifecycle of the parasite to the stage where it falls off of the fish. Thus where water changes come in.

I cleared mine up in about 3 days with out a heater.

Both these methods work if it is ich, there are many, many methods to treat it. I gradually raised my temp to 86 and added kordons rid ich+, they have two types I used the more natural one since I have scale less fish. So now you have the temp method, temp+salt method, and a chemical medicine method to choose from. Pick a treatment and stick with it, don't combine treatments or change them and do many water changes. Good luck! Still answer all the questions asked earlier too, just to make sure what we're dealing with.

The white spots sound like it could be ich, does it look like your fish took a dive into a sand pile?

But let's start this off right,
How long has the tank been set up?
What are your exact water parameters?
How long have you had the fish?
What size tank is it?

Answering these kind of questions right off the bat will help others help diagnose what could be wrong.

My tanks has been set up about 2 months
I have forgot the perameters il check them again later i just remeber everything was fine
The fish that has itch i only bought on saterday along with the tetra that died but the mollies i have had about a month
And my tank is about 60 ltr

Thanks to everyone aswelll for the methods i will give one a try, if im using the heat and salt method does it need to be aquatium salt?

My tanks has been set up about 2 months
I have forgot the perameters il check them again later i just remeber everything was fine
The fish that has itch i only bought on saterday along with the tetra that died but the mollies i have had about a month
And my tank is about 60 ltr

Thanks to everyone aswelll for the methods i will give one a try, if im using the heat and salt method does it need to be aquatium salt?

Yes definitely use aquarium salt, table salt is different. I know how new additions and ich are, I was so proud of my tank for being spotless and disease free then I added a perfect looking new loach and BOOM, ich. That's what we get for not having quarantine tanks though.

Yes definitely use aquarium salt, table salt is different. I know how new additions and ich are, I was so proud of my tank for being spotless and disease free then I added a perfect looking new loach and BOOM, ich. That's what we get for not having quarantine tanks though.

Haha same im so annoyed they got it ,
I pray it clears up soon

With proper treatment and fast actions its not that horrible of a disease, though some cases can be hard to get rid of. I had a very easy time with it but I know others have been very unfortunate when it comes to ich

table salt usually has anticaking agents (usually calcium carbonate) added as well as iodide. These can affect your pH and the health of your fish.
You can use pure canning salt if you don't like paying extra for the fancy label on aquarium salt. Just make sure the only ingredient is sodium chloride.

Back
Top Bottom